iTunes Music Transfer

Reaction score
I am trying to transfer my itunes music to a 500 gb external hard drive from my ibook (G4 1.2 ghz / 1.25 ram / 80 gb hd) by a USB connection. I created a folder on the external called My music. I opened itunes and i open the external and try to drag and drop the itues music over....... nothing happens. what am i doing wrong???????????????????????????????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You need to move the music from in Finder, you can't drag the media out of itunes onto an external. Locate your itunes folder in finder and move that folder.

OP
B
Reaction score
i will give these a try and keep u posted, thanks..............

hello Mr. Strectch

Maybe I am just a bozo, but i opened "Finder" but now am a little lost. I see a screen that sows things like " Desktop, documents, libary, etc. but nothing for itunes. Except when I go into Applicatios and i see itunes, if i open itunes i am where i started unable to copy itumes music to my external drive. I am a little lost after that, sorry. The answer is probably right in front of me....help ???

To the other guy .... are u sure the "Ehow" directions arent for PC's

OP
B
Reaction score
hello Mr. Strectch

Maybe I am just a bozo, but i opened "Finder" but now am a little lost. I see a screen that sows things like " Desktop, documents, libary, etc. but nothing for itunes. Except when I go into Applicatios and i see itunes, if i open itunes i am where i started unable to copy itumes music to my external drive. I am a little lost after that, sorry. The answer is probably right in front of me....help ???

To the other guy .... are u sure the "Ehow" directions arent for PC's

Hey...i think i just figured it out......but now when i try to drag and drop i get a message that reads "External hard drive can not be modified"......now what ?????????!

OP
B
Reaction score
FYI - The external HD was formatted as NTFS. I formatted it as Mac OS journaled and that seemed to help. Does NTFS not work with Mac???????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
FYI - The external HD was formatted as NTFS. I formatted it as Mac OS journaled and that seemed to help. Does NTFS not work with Mac???????
It can read it, it can't write to it natively.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM

It can read it, it can't write to it natively.

As Dysfunction stated. NTFS file format can work go a mac. It can only read though.

If you want to use an external hard drive for both windows and mac without thinking of a file format. you can reformat it to FAT32. But the problem with this file system is that it has a limit of a 4GB single size file. Meaning you can't transfer more than 4GB file to your HDD.

Also there's no need to reformat a NTFS external hard disk so that you can use it on a mac.

You can download NTFS for MAC or NTFS3G so you can use your hard disk both with a mac or windows pc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro i7, 500Gb / 32Gb iPhone 4 / 16Gb Ipod Touch, 4th Gen / 30Gb Ipod Video
Interesting. That's a useful bit of information

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.