Macbook unibody white LCD screen stays dim

Reaction score
I turned on my Macbook this morning to discover that my 13" LCD screen was dark. I tried the F2 key to adjust brightness but the screen flashed once (I could see the desktop images) and then wen dark again.

I connected my external monitor and it works fine. When I mirror the screens I can "see" what"s on the LCD monitor but it's just super dark. Thus far I've unchecked and checked the "Automatically reduce brightness..." in ENERGY SAVER, Unchecked "use all F1 F2 keys as function keys..." and verified and repaired disk permissions.

Odd thing: when I mirror the screens, bring the brightness down to 0, my external monitor isn't affected. Then, when I arrow the brightness meter up with the first click the LCD screen flashes momentarily and looks like it should. If I keep doing this (by resetting the brightness to 0) I sometimes get the the LCD to stay on (bright) for a moment as I crank the brightness up, but then it goes dark.

I bought the Macbook used last year in 2010 and I love it. I have all the original disks and never had a problem. I'm running Mac OSX 10.6.7 with 2GB memory on a 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Sounds like the backlight might be going on your screen. Do you have AppleCare?

OP
H
Reaction score
It's not covered by Applecare. Am I SOL? Is there anything else I can try?

I can still use my external monitor, but it defeats the purpose of having a laptop, you know? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
It could be a loose connection, if you're happy enough opening the laptop yourself then there are some great instruction manuals at iFixit to see if you can remedy the problem
MacBook Unibody Model A1342 Repair Manual - iFixit

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
H
Reaction score
I did the following:

Restarted pressing "C" - NO FIX
Restarted pressing Command ALT P + R - No FIX
Deleted /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
and RESET SMC

No Fix. But the laptop is running lots faster, lol. Not desperate enough yet to open the laptop myself...

anyone? anyone?

OP
H
Reaction score
Also realizing that 5 seconds into the power up when the laptop tries to illuminate the screen it's not working, so I'm guessing that points to a hardware issue.

Reaction score
same.....

I have a friends macbook with the exact same issue, know its most likely the inventor but know it could be the screen or cable, was jut wondering if you knew which part it was in the end?

as i don't want to order the wrong part and waste money.

any help you could give i would be grateful?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.