• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

dvd camcorders and final cut pro

A

adamxj2

how could I take video off of a dvd camcorder and edit it in
final cut HD?
I cant figure it out
if any one knows I would be extremely grateful
thanks in advance
I do love all you mac people you always help
me so much

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
If it is burned to a standard format DVD you can use a program like DVDxDV to rip the video from the DVD into the FCP/iMovie format. That's the best DVD to FCP program I have found so far.

http://www.dvdxdv.com/

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Which camcorder are using? Does it have a firewire port?

OP
A

adamxj2

no Fire wire

I use mini dv tapes all the time
I am very aware
of it

Is there a way to record on to thge dv in a data format so you can rip clips of of it
or is it only a dvd ripping solution?

thanks friemds

and thast software is for mac right!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
adamxj2 said:
Is there a way to record on to thge dv in a data format so you can rip clips of of it or is it only a dvd ripping solution?

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking...

The program I referred to allows you to select clips within a DVD disk and save them as DV Data files on your hard drive... these files can be directly imported into FCP without any rendering.

Now I do know of software out there that will allow you to use DV tapes as a data storage solution... But I don't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

OP
A

adamxj2

i just want to import what is on the cameras disc onto my mac there is no firewire
There is usb but I dont think My mac will recognize the camera from a usb wire
do you know what I mean
Sorry if I am confusing
it is a sony 403 or something very similar
i have a dual 1.8 G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gotcha... then a program like DVDxDV would rip the finalized DVD disks into FCP just fine. Now one thing to take into account is that you may need to use an external DVD player that uses a tray... as the slot loading drive on you G5 will probably not accept the smaller 8CM DVDs that the DVD403 uses.

Another option is to convert the finalized disk to MPEG-4 using an app like OpenShiiva and from there use Quicktime to convert it to DV. I just have found DVDxDV to be a much faster, albeit not cheaper, way to get the job done.

The best I can gather is that there is sony software on PC that would allow you edit videos directly inside the camera and export MPEG-4. But there is no such thing for Mac.

OP
A

adamxj2

i think my g5 power mac accepts those little discs It has in the past
Ummmm.
All in all doesent this suck

And another option I was thinking of is there an adapter
than converts the the red white and yellow outputs on the camera
to a wire that would plug into "the MAC"...
like thos elgato things??
Do you know about that
Or is that a dead end

OP
F

FontaineJ

did it come with pc software, cuz i have the same problemm, and ur best bet is to buy virtual pc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.