Will more RAM + SSD give my '06 MBP a good performance boost?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I love my old MBP and that it's been rock-solid for over 4.5 years now, but the performance just isn't cutting it, especially since I've gotten into photography and need something that can keep up. I've been thinking of getting a new iMac, but really don't want to make the expense if I don't have to.

My MBP is a late 2006 with a 2.13 C2D processor and 2GB RAM. I think it's max is 3GB unless that's changed with software or I'm just wrong. I'm not sure if that'll be enough to speed it up significantly. I was also thinking an SSD might help a lot too, but again I don't know if the bus speed on my old MBP is that fast to begin with.

Then there's always the question of whether or not it's even worth it to put money into a computer that may conk out within the next year or less.

Any thoughts/ideas or similar experience would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I don't know what HDD you have in there now, but if space is becoming an issue, upgrading to a 500GB+ HDD could help you some. Also maxing out your RAM could help.
Crucial.com has a system scanner tool that will tell you how much memory your Mac can handle.
New HDD + 1GB or 2GB of RAM = somewhere around $200 USD. Up to you if you want to put that into a 4 yr old Mac. But if it's in good shape, why toss it if it gets the job done?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
My vote keep the MBP like it is put all your budget into a new iMac you will probably get
deeper into photography so the extra screen real-estate along with faster everything will
be more productive.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
If it were me, I would pile all my money into Sandy Bridge. they are just the best chips I have ever used. i made the jump a couple of weeks back (albeit on a PC) but i instantly noticed a massive increase in performance over my C2D's. Loading bars in particular seem to go past so much quicker...

however, what is it you primarily use your MBP for?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You can stick 4GB in there - I have in mine, same model, but with the upgraded 2.33 chip - you are correct, it can only use 3GB - putting in a matched pair will maintain dual channel - probably not noticeable at all, but being the geek that I am...

If you're still using the original drive in that thing, you will see significant improvement by upgrading to one of the 7200 320 or 500GB drives. My WD 500 boots in 19 seconds and yes, you will notice increased application launch speeds as well. The 320 boots in 28 seconds, but also provides a nice speed jump in every day use.

Our MBPs are getting quite long in the tooth now and your best money would be to invest in the new models. If it's going to be awhile before you can do that, then a new drive at around $70 or so will be well worth the investment to prolong the life - imho. RAM, if you haven't upgraded it during the 1st 4 yrs already, meh, not so much.

If you're interested in a 320 GB, let me know, have the one I pulled out when I upgraded to the 500 that I'll let go for $35 incl'g shipping to the US.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I’ve thought about it some more and realized that even if I upgrade my MBP my weakest point is my monitor, which is the cheapest 22” Dell offered 3 years ago. So I think I will just invest in a new iMac with one of the nice new screens. I also thought that getting $400-500 out of my MBP now is better than next to nothing if I just wait for it to die.

I may go for a previous gen version iMac if I can find one for a good price. It won’t be the awesome sandybridge, but it should be plenty for my needs and the difference in price should buy me some extra RAM and Lightroom. If I need a performance boost down the road, I can throw in an SSD . Judging by how much of a boost the MBA’s get from SSD, it should make a significant increase by itself.

Thanks for all the advice!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.