Macbook pro hd is beyoned repair! Help!!

Reaction score
First of all, it's a 13" macbook pro 2gb (if that helps)

Ok so I am ******** myself and panicking so much!

A few weeks ago my macbook pro started getting kernal messages and shutting itself down, and beeping. I found out this was ram problems. So my girlfriend had a spare 1gb ram card as her macbook had problems a while back. I put the new card in and my macbook (so I had one new ram card and one old one) and it was working fine for a few days, then went back to kernal warnings. So I took out the old ram card out, and replaced it with the one that I'd taken out. So I had the new one, and the old one I took out first. (If that makes sense)

Again it was working fine up until today....

I was on skype when a kernal warning came up. I restarted my mac and it worked fine for about 5 minuets until another kernal came up. I restarted it and my macbook just beeped, doing sets of 3 beeps at a time. I held the power button so the beeps stopped and left my mac for about 20 minuets to cool down.

When I restarted it again, the apple logo and spinny wheel came up as normal, however a loading bar was there too, and I have never seen it before. It looked like this:
5wguae.jpg

The bar loaded to about half way and then went back to the beginning and did this about 3 times, took about 5 minuets, then shut down. I kept turning it back on and it did the same thing each time.

I then inserted the startup DVD and went on disk utility and did a repair test.
This is the bit I'm panicking about....

During the disk repair, it comes up saying
"Disk Utility stopped repairing 'Macintosh HD' Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed up files"

Now first of all, I don't know how to backup my files as it doesn't give me that option. My external hard drive is currently getting fixed so I am going to have to use tons of DVD's to put my stuff onto. I am mainly panicking about reformatting the disk.

If anyone can help me, I'm literally begging for it. If I loose all my stuff then I am well and truly screwed!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Two options by the looks of things here, either you get brand new matching RAM to see if that solves the problem or you get a new internal drive if you think it is that, that has gone bad. You can use the following guide I have written for you to clone your internal drive to a new external HDD as well if you feel the need to do so.
Best bet is to get a new internal drive with a 2.5" USB enclosure, use the same method of booting into the install disk and going into Disk Utility, on the left pane select you hdd then click the Restore tab, drag your internal drive from the left pane into the "Source" field then drag your new internal drive via USB from the left pane into the "Destination" field then click restore. This will copy your entire internal drive to the your new internal via USB. You can then swap the old internal for the new internal and see if that has solved the problem.

Hope this helps

- Simon

OP
R
Reaction score
Two options by the looks of things here, either you get brand new matching RAM to see if that solves the problem or you get a new internal drive if you think it is that, that has gone bad. You can use the following guide I have written for you to clone your internal drive to a new external HDD as well if you feel the need to do so.
Best bet is to get a new internal drive with a 2.5" USB enclosure, use the same method of booting into the install disk and going into Disk Utility, on the left pane select you hdd then click the Restore tab, drag your internal drive from the left pane into the "Source" field then drag your new internal drive via USB from the left pane into the "Destination" field then click restore. This will copy your entire internal drive to the your new internal via USB. You can then swap the old internal for the new internal and see if that has solved the problem.

Hope this helps

- Simon

I am a bit confused. Am I right in thinking that form what you have just told me, I can plug in my external hard drive, and it will show up on disk utility, allowing me to literally drag Macintosh HD into the external hard drive and everything will go onto the external?
and do you mean internal as in a whole new hard drive for my mac?
Sorry if I am sounding stupid!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Yes and Yes :D
You're not sounding stupid at all, it's just the kind of question that's part of the learning curve and what Mac-Forums is all about, I remember asking the same kind of question myself a while back.

HTH,

- Simon

OP
R
Reaction score
Ah ok cool, thank you so much for your help.
I will try the external hard drive and I am also going to upgrade to 4gb ram as that has been a problem for while. However, I really dont think I have the money for a new macbook hard drive, unless the cheaper ones are good...

I will see what happens and let you know/ask for help if needed.
Thanks a lot bro!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem at all, just glad to help out. Let me know if you need anymore help at all right here in this thread, that way if anyone else has a similar issue they can find this thread and hopefully it will help them too.

Cheers

- Simon

OP
R
Reaction score
ok so I tried it today with my external HD and it wont let me drag Macintosh HD into the source as it is not mounted. I tried to mount the internal hd and it comes up saying cannot be mounted, go to first aid and try again. I go to first aid, verify and repair it, it then comes up saying back everything up :/

What do I do! ahhhh!!

Reaction score
Not sure if you tried this but you can

1. remove internal hard drive from your mac and put it into a 2.5" SATA hard drive to USB enclosure- they cost like $13.

2. boot up your mac with the OSX disk, select "disk utility" from the menu bar at the top (it is ok that your computer has no internal HDD at this piont).

3. plug in your enclosure from #1 and your external USB HDD and copy the disk USB enclosure to the USB external HDD. Not sure if these should have been plugged in before #2 or not. Probably will work though. No need to mount anything.

Alternatively to #2 and #3, plug the USB enclosure with your HDD into someone else's mac and just copy over all your stuff using the other mac.

4. Reformat your HDD while it is in the enclosure.

5. Put HDD back into your mac and reinstall OSX.

6. copy files back to your mac.

OP
R
Reaction score
ok cool cheers.

as a matter of fact, i actually bought a sata enclosure for my hard drive yesterday off ebay, as the enclosure from mine broke on the circuit bit where the power supply goes into.
I'm borrowing a friends usb power supply at the moment, and this plugs into the power ports on the hard drive, so i can do both at the same time.

I will try and let you know!

also, I probably will be sounding very stupid here, but is it possible to swap my external hd with the macbook one, and use it as the mac's hd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's a 2.5" Sata then yeah. That's what I had to do with mine a while ago.

- Simon

OP
R
Reaction score
ok cool. my external hard drive is a seagate 1tb, and was in a sata enclosure (before the enclosure broke)
so if i back everything from my macbook hd onto the seagate, will i be able to put the seagate into my macbook and install the software and then everything will be on there working fine? if yes, would i need new ram aswell as it is a higher memory hd?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even though both are SATA and 2.5" wide, you won't be able to use the Seagate 1 TB drive in your MacBook as it is too thick for fit and be able to cool properly. Your Seagate drive is 12.5 mm thick while the normal drive size for a MacBook and MBP is 9.5 mm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.