Disappointed in the Mac-Forums Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I love Apple. I love everything about Apple. I am a Mac zealot who proudly and vociferously evangelizes and defends all thing Apple.

I have to say that I'm disappointed in the Mac Forums community. Instead of the welcoming, supportive camaraderie that I expected from Mac loyalists, a recent question I posted was met with sarcasm and unnecessary scorn.

I merely asked if anyone could guess when the next major iMac evolution complete with a cosmetic change can be expected. I was relying on the experts in this community to extrapolate based on past product lifecycle trends if one could guess when a major change could be expected. I'm about to invest $3,500 on a new machine, and I just want to know if a major change is in the wings possibly motivating me to wait to make this purchase.

Instead, I was told to "get a life" and was subjected to a post dripping with sarcasm ending with the exclamation that if they knew this information then they'd be working for Apple.

I work in the automotive industry. I can tell you with some certainty when new models are to be expected. German cars have lifecycles of 6-7 years with a mild facelift in the third or fourth year. In respect to Japanese cars, their lifecycles are closer to 3-4 years with a mid-cycle refresh about two years in. Also, based on trending technologies I can tell you what the changes will likely be.

The automotive industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. So, why is it so out of the question to ask when a new iMac might be released?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So I'm sorry you feel that way about this but let me point out two things...

1. You are basing your judgement on the reaction of 1 other poster who has barely been around Mac-Forums and isn't a key member here and you're letting that color your understanding of the entire MF community?

2. You also take issue in your thread because a mod asked you not to cross-post. Every community has guidelines, as do we (you can find the link at the top of every forum). He was just reminding you of them.

But in essence, yes, the question you asked is one that no one can answer and ultimately outside of Apple, no one knows.

OP
T
Reaction score
So I'm sorry you feel that way about this but let me point out two things...

1. You are basing your judgement on the reaction of 1 other poster who has barely been around Mac-Forums and isn't a key member here and you're letting that color your understanding of the entire MF community?

2. You also take issue in your thread because a mod asked you not to cross-post. Every community has guidelines, as do we (you can find the link at the top of every forum). He was just reminding you of them.

But in essence, yes, the question you asked is one that no one can answer and ultimately outside of Apple, no one knows.

Thank you for the reasonable response.

The crosspost was a mistake.

Again, while I didn't expect anyone to know all of the details about the next iMac, I was hoping that my post would start a conversation among community members complete with guesses, wish lists, etc.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Here's your original post in question:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-desktops/237973-next-gen-imac.html#post1233162

"I know the new iMac just launched last week, but I'm wondering when the next generation iMac is due.

Specifically, based on Mac product lifecycles, when is an all-new (including cosmetics) iMac due out? I think the current design is beautiful, but Apple has a way of introducing new versions of their products which immediately makes the then current models look aged and obsolete.

Thanks in advance for your input."

If you compare the content of this post to your post that started this thread...the content is certainly different...and you probably would have gotten a different reaction.

Your question (from the quoted thread) about when the next iMac will be introduced is a fair question...and I mentioned that we could take some guess's based on historical information.

Where things got "unreasonable" is...asking for "when is an all-new (including cosmetics) imac due out?" You didn't mention anything about our guess's or wish list...or a discussion about it...you just "flat-out said": "when is an all-new (including cosmetics) imac due out?". We have absolutely no idea when Apple will release a new iMac that has redesigned cosmetics. How in the heck are we supposed to have that information?

Since you're in the auto industry...you know very well that when newly designed automobiles are transported (but still in the design stage) or are driven on a "secret" test track...they are covered in "camouflaged" body panels & body coverings so spying photographers cannot get a good idea of the cars shape.

Now consider how small a newly designed computer is to hide from the publics eye's (compared to an newly designed automobile)...and you can see how much more secretive a newly designed computer can be!

Asking when a newly designed iMac (new cosmetics) will be released is almost as hard to find out as asking the US government for the launch codes for nuclear missiles!!!;)

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
As I said in my response to schweb, "while I didn't expect anyone to know all of the details about the next iMac, I was hoping that my post would start a conversation among community members complete with guesses, wish lists, etc."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
I can see the thread in question here, I personally don't think that the other poster was being sarcastic, merely pointing out that Apple is exceptionally close-chested about their projects. Apple have been and probably always will be extremely secretive about product launches and most "reports" about Apple's next product are 99% of the time merely speculation based on other companies new product releases like Intel for their chipsets etc.
As for the previous thread maybe a reply like the above could have been a little more appropriate but I don't see the post
dripping with sarcasm
As for his reply, it's 100% correct stating that:
How would we know this stuff...only the design folks at Apple would even have a clue...and even they probably have 3-5 different designs to choose from at the moment (and that's even IF any cosmetic changes are due in the near future).

If we knew this stuff...we would be working at Apple...and if we let this info out...we would be fired!!!
it's completely true, as stated above the folk at Apple are very secretive and only they would truely know anything about the design changes, after all did you hear anything about the iPhone being designed and built until they officially stated it themselves in their Keynote?

Some people have their own way of explaining things, we don't go out of our way to dismiss peoples question, mock or ridicule. I do hope you stay at Mac Forums as 99% of the time you get great threads and discussions here.

- Simon

OP
T
Reaction score
I can see the thread in question here, I personally don't think that the other poster was being sarcastic, merely pointing out that Apple is exceptionally close-chested about their projects. Apple have been and probably always will be extremely secretive about product launches and most "reports" about Apple's next product are 99% of the time merely speculation based on other companies new product releases like Intel for their chipsets etc.
As for the previous thread maybe a reply like the above could have been a little more appropriate but I don't see the post I also don't see any reference at all referring you to "get a life". As for his reply, it's 100% correct stating that it's completely true, as stated above the folk at Apple are very secretive and only they would truely know anything about the design changes, after all did you hear anything about the iPhone being designed and built until they officially stated it themselves in their Keynote?

Some people have their own way of explaining things, we don't go out of our way to dismiss peoples question, mock or ridicule. I do hope you stay at Mac Forums as 99% of the time you get great threads and discussions here.

- Simon

Thank you for proving my point. Simply by agreeing that "it's 100% correct stating" that I should get a life. When is that "okay?" Is this something that you would teach your kids to say or would be proud of if you overhear them saying something like this?

I more than understand that Apple is extremely secretive. I'm also shocked by the fact that everyone has a sit and wait attitude. I'd like to think that the folks in Silicon Valley are more proactive in their efforts to get a ahead of their competition by use of competitive data, industry and economic trends, etc.

Don't think for a moment that the car industry isn't equally as secretive. How much do you think it costs to design, develop, produce, and promote a new car? I think it's fair to say that it's a whole lot more money than it takes to launch a new laptop. Put this into perspective, Ford is probably investing about $300-$400 million dollars launching their new Ford Focus just from an advertising point of view and this is on top of the hundreds of millions of dollars on top of the aforementioned development costs. What technological product could match this?

Also, doesn't MacWorld and Mac|Life have annual or bi-annual articles on things to come? And, don't they also hypothesize quite a bit about what to expect in respect to new products and/or give their opinions on what they would like to have as part of the new products? Do they have a leg up on you guys?

Think about what you say and the way you're saying it. Then ask yourself who needs to get a life.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thank you for proving my point. Simply by agreeing that "it's 100% correct stating" that I should get a life. When is that "okay?" Is this something that you would teach your kids to say or would be proud of if you overhear them saying something like this?

Think about what you say and the way you're saying it. Then ask yourself who needs to get a life.

What was said was inappropriate & has been dealt with. Let's please move on to bigger & more interesting things!:)

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Not every thread posted receives replies, nor do they always receive the responses the OP hopes for.
I see no value to the community in complaining about it when someone doesn't receive the response they wanted.

Abuse, vulgarity, and other similar offenses are a different matter altogether.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
How exactly do you get that i'm agreeing you need to get a life from
As for his reply, it's 100% correct stating that it's completely true, as stated above the folk at Apple are very secretive and only they would truely know anything about the design changes.
???

As you can see from this i'm not saying it's 100% correct that you get a life infact in my reply I state
I also don't see any reference at all referring you to "get a life".

It would seem from this that you are reading the posts and extrapolating whatever you want from it.

I was in no way taking anyone's side from either argument and merely pointing out truths and dismissing false claims. As for this thread, I shall have no other comments to it as I could be helping people that need actual help!

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like Nick said, the post that told you to get a life is history and the user dealt with. Lets move on and try to forget about that insult as that is not how the long time members are at all.

That message angered me probably just as much as it did you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Am I to understand that this thread is all about some self admitted fan-boy who's little feelys got bruised by a response post that they didn't like? Wow.

I gotta go check this other thread out....

EDIT: Ok, failing to see anything about "get a life" or anything "bitter and sarcastic" about the reply in question. Looks like much more is being read into a response than is really there.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What was said was inappropriate & has been dealt with. Let's please move on to bigger & more interesting things!:)

Lets move on and try to forget about that insult as that is not how the long time members are at all.
I have to agree with what both of these guys have said. It's time to move on - what has been done is done and inappropriate posts have been managed by the staff.

To the OP: If you have concerns about the forum, please feel free to report the post using the report function as opposed to starting a new thread about an issue.

That said, this thread seems to have run its course and is no longer productive (if it ever was).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.