Macbook Pro Screen Replacement

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro that needs a new screen. I was thinking about buying the same model macbook pro that needs a new logic board using the screen in that to replace. Will this work? If it is the exact same model will it have the same screen in it? Could I also replace the inverter and do that?

Thanks for any help!!!

Reaction score
It'll have to be exactly the same model, and preferably of a similar age too as Apple to slightly change their production over the lifespan of a model. And yes, it's not too difficult to replace the LCD as long as you're gentle.

It may be cheaper to buy just the LCD though, as that same panel is almost certainly used in many other laptops (not just Macs!) too. Get the panel's manufacturer and model number off the sticker on the back of it, and search ebay and other online shops for that panel. I think they're made by LG or Samsung in the non-unibody Pros, but I could be wrong.

It also widens your search, knowing what other laptops it's used in as chances are it'll be cheaper to buy a dead PC laptop with the same panel than a dead Macbook Pro.

For example, the non-unibody Macbooks use an LG LP133wx1 panel...the exact same one is also used in Acer's high end models, Toshibas and a couple of Sony Vaios. Price when sold as a Macbook LCD...£180. Price when sold as an LG Lp133wx1...£70. Exact same thing!

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! do you know if I get the exact same model and it has a different model lcd as you said, could I just swap out the inverter too? Apple likely didn't change any of the other components when changing screen manufacturer.

Reaction score
Yep, the inverters are the same across each model/generation. It slots into the hinge cover below the screen. However, the inverter will be different on another laptop as it's not part of the panel assembly itself. A Toshiba using the same model panel won't have the same inverter.

Out of interest, why are you changing the inverter?

OP
D
Reaction score
I was just thinking that the inverter changed when apple changed what display they were using over the lifetime of the model.

Reaction score
To my knowledge, they didn't change the inverter. When the panel manufacturer/model changes, it's often very minor stuff but I always err on the safe side and replace like for like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.