MS OFFICE 2011 for MAC - Junk or What

Reaction score
I'm just checking with other folks out here to gauge their thoughts as to the performance of their MAC after installing MS Office 2011 for MAC.
About three weeks ago I installed 2011 and my performance went right into the potty'. I then increased my RAM from 4GB to 6GB (max), and cleaned up my system by removing duplicate files, and all sorts of improvements by using the MacKeeper app, and did the usual 'software updates' and still 2011 locks-up, and is generally a dog.

Has or is anyone else having the same issues or am I just the lucky one and my MacBook Pro 17' can't handle it? And, perhaps even more importantly - has anyone been able to stabilize this P.O.S. by means other than the ones I mention above.

In advance - thank you.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I use MS Office on my i7 iMac and had 4GB of RAM before and there was never any issues with it..I've upgraded to 12GB mainly for VM use and continue to have no problems.

Now, granted that I don't use Office all the time, but any time I had to write a document or work on a spreadsheet, it's been fine.

Hard to to imagine that just installing Office could cause your Mac to slow down that much.

You can always try uninstalling Office and see if things get better..

Regards

OP
A
Reaction score
I haven't tried uninstalling & reinstalling, but it's worth a try. Thanks for responding.

I use MS Office on my i7 iMac and had 4GB of RAM before and there was never any issues with it..I've upgraded to 12GB mainly for VM use and continue to have no problems.

Now, granted that I don't use Office all the time, but any time I had to write a document or work on a spreadsheet, it's been fine.

Hard to to imagine that just installing Office could cause your Mac to slow down that much.

You can always try uninstalling Office and see if things get better..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I love MS Office 2011 and quite honestly, there's no way after installing it that it would have any impact on your overall system performance. There must be something else going on.

OP
A
Reaction score
In a way I was hoping you were having the performance issues. But I too very much enjoy the new features and its intelligence - some pretty nifty stuff. Maybe I simply have to remove even more files off my hard drive, but I have a feeling it's more than that. Thanks for responding!

I love MS Office 2011 and quite honestly, there's no way after installing it that it would have any impact on your overall system performance. There must be something else going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
No impact whatsoever to my system either. Love Office and need it on a daily basis to communicate with clients and such. Could not live without it. It has been running fine since it was installed as has my MBP.

OP
A
Reaction score
Maybe it is my MBP. It's a 2008 and I can only max at 6GB RAM. Thanks for responding.

No impact whatsoever to my system either. Love Office and need it on a daily basis to communicate with clients and such. Could not live without it. It has been running fine since it was installed as has my MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
6G is 5G more than Office needs. It sounds like you have something else going on.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Take a look at what applications are running through Activity Monitor to get an idea of where the CPU usage is going.

You can also try Onyx to clean things up on your system and see if that improves anything..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Another + for Office 2011. Rock steady and fast. Have you downloaded and installed SP1 as yet?

Reaction score
I use office 2011 daily, word and excel and didn't notice a thing different, love the program and could not of switched to the Mac if it hadn't been available. good luck with wha ever is going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Any chance you had a trial version of 2011 or 2008 installed? Did you uninstall Office 2011 using the recently released uninstaller? Have you updated to SP1 as yet?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.