Shutting down

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
To shut down my MacBook Pro, I click on the Apple icon (top left) and choose "Shut Down". That generates a sixty second timer which includes an option to click "Shut Down" again. Three or four times (I have had the computer about a month and a half, and use it every day), when I have clicked the second "Shut Down", the dock slides down and disappears, as if the laptop is about to shut down, but the desktop remains (the outer space image) ... until the sixty seconds have passed, and then the laptop closes. My question: Is there a way to turn off the sixty second delay, and have the computer simply turn off when I click Apple>Shut Down? Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
hmmm... did you quit all running applications?

Note: Sometimes clicking the close button is not enough to quit an application.

See if any blue light is still lit under the docks icon. If so, right click and select quit to properly close an app.

Also you can try holding down Cmd+Opt+Esc ... this will open Force Quit Applications. Just make sure you saved all files your doing before doing this.

Now if you want to avoid that second shut off click...

Press the Power Button this option will come up

5711347775_767953d242.jpg

Just click shut down... no more pesky 60 second shut down timer for this method.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Or, If you see menu items with three dots after them Like Shutdown… you can hold down the option key and they will do something different.
In the case of Shutdown… holding down the option key will make it skip the timer.

C

chas_m

Question: Why are you shutting down the Mac at all? There's no need to (apart from occasional system updates).

Also, johndope makes a good point. A lot of people do not properly quit their applications, and that lengthens the shutdown time quite considerably.

Reaction score
Restart and then immediately open the Console. Looks at the timestamp when you hit Restart - something in the background will be trying to quit, and it only allows a reboot when the system terminates that process. Most likely it's a 3rd party piece of software which needs reinstalling, or a print queue problem.

Like all computers, Macs need to be restarted regularly. I rebooted my PC laptop about once a fortnight, and I do the same with my Macbook as applications leak over time and eat up your RAM, forcing it to page more and more data to disk, slowing the machine down.

C

chas_m

Like all computers, Macs need to be restarted regularly.

No, they do not.

I rebooted my PC laptop about once a fortnight, and I do the same with my Macbook as applications leak over time and eat up your RAM, forcing it to page more and more data to disk, slowing the machine down.

This is only true you're the sort of person that leaves all your applications open permanently. Who actually does that??

Back in the olden days when applications took a long time to start up, it was practical to leave them open. Today, it takes less than a second to start up most programs, so when you are done with them -- even if you know you are coming back to them soon -- just quit them. That way, they do precisely NONE of the things you describe.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, MacOS Ventura, iPod Touch, iPhone 6s Plus, MacBook Air 2020
Thank you all. Shutdown ... + Option does it.

The "Console". Wow! Who knew? Thanks for prompting me to check that out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Ctrl/Option(Alt)/Cmnd+Eject will bypass the 60 second notice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.