User seeking advice!

Reaction score
Hello Mac-daddies, I need your expert advice.

I current have a 13" macbook pro from January 2009 (highend 13" model) and I am awaiting my ipad2 delivery. Completing the trifecta I have the iphone 4.

And now the question is ... my gf (note: we live together) wants a macbook and I dont know which one to get her. She only uses the internet and basic programs so no insane specs are required but for some reason she refuses to go for a computer without a dvd drive so the air is out of the question.

My idea was the new low end 15" macbook pro because that would put a bigger screen in the household. In reality she really only needs the white macbook but I think its a bit redundant with my mbp.

Now is when y'all are supposed to respond and tell me what to do. Keep the advice reasonable and please note that I do sway easily.

Cheers

Matthew

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Note: Edited your title to something that is a bit more proper.

I guess it depends on how much influence the lady in the house has on you on whether to get her a white MacBook or a MacBook Pro. No question that the MBP is a much more capable machine, however, you're looking at a larger investment. Of course if money is not a factor, get her the MBP.

Two MacBook Pros are better than one. :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Note: Yeah good work, you caught my title pretty quickly. Just trying to attract some attention and I thought it was tasteful enough to stay but I agree that proper is better.

Money is always a factor but I am willing to go for the 15". I just hate the idea of buying a computer with lower specs than my 2 year old mbp and because I already have a 13" I am using those excuses to go for the 15 mbp. But maybe the 15" is overkill and some extra money down the drain.

Also, the lady has a lot of influence in the house but she would happily accept all choices outside of the air.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Give her your MBP and then you can get the 15.

OP
M
Reaction score
Haha, I like that option. No doubt I would be using the 15 often but i would have to do some sort of unofficial switcharoo to pull that off.

"Of course the 15" is yours my love ... I just trying it out. Why dont you use my 13" and then we can switch when I'm done ..."

OP
M
Reaction score
Also, is apple care a must. I have it now but have never used it and I was thinking about skipping it this time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Given your GF's needs...I say buy a slightly older 15" model. Seems like you may be going overboard a bit...since her MBP would be nicer than your's (your 13" vs. her 15"). Of course you have the iPad 2 as well.

If used isn't an option...at least check out Apples refurbished section.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Also, is apple care a must. I have it now but have never used it and I was thinking about skipping it this time.

Technically speaking...Applecare is only supposed to cover manufacturing defects. So if you were thinking accidental damage coverage...this isn't what Applecare is for.

I usually feel that a manufacturing defect will most likely show up within the first 12 month (usually)...which is the length of time with the complementary Applecare that comes with all new & refurbished computers.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.