OK, who stole my progress bar?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Hi guys,
Something has happened to my desktop view and I don't know how to get it back. To be honest, I don't even know if it is an OS X issue or a Firefox problem.
Anyway, just in case it is a known issue, here is my setup.
It is all running on a fairly new Mac Mini Aluminium running Snow leopard with all the latest updates installed. I am running Firefox 4.0.1
Now, in the recent past, I used to have a progress bar down at the bottom right of the screen that moved across from left to right to show how quickly a new page was loading. It also meant that loading had actually started. Without the bar, i have no way of knowing that the click that I did actually registered.
Does anybody know where it went or what I can try to get it back?
Cheers,
Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't use FF but perhaps the progress bar was removed in the latest update? I know this is something that has been on and off even with Safari, which I use.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
There's no status bar (at least in the nightly). Instead, you get a Chrome style "popup status bar" (that's what I'm calling it) where a little status message shows up where the status bar used to be when you go to a new page. Do you not get this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
It's a common complaint about FF4 - an add-on called Status-4-Evar will get things back to the way you want them.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers for the link, northernchimp.
Downloaded, checked and installed and working perfectly.
Thanks again,
Steve

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's no status bar (at least in the nightly).

This may be a dumb question but what is a "Nightly"?
My apologies if it's a typo for another word and I don't mean to pick you up on it if it's a spelling error but I have no idea what it means.
The thing that was missing, and has now returned, was a small white bar at the bottom right of the screen where the clock would be on a Windows PC screen. It isn't there all the time but it appears when you refresh the page or go to a new one. A blue segment rolls across the bat so that when the bar is all blue, the page changes or loads.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can ignore my comment. ;)

I don't use the stable version of Firefox. I run what is called the "nightly" version. This is the version of Firefox that is built everyday. Using this gives me a sense of what's coming in the versions to come.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.