Airport Extreme Wireless/Wired question

Reaction score
My neighbor and I are wanting to split the cost of our ISP. Our homes are about 75 feet apart (across the street) and I can pick up his wifi (and he mine) without any problems in the front of our homes, but not in the back rooms.

Last night he brought over his Airport Express and I set it up to boost the signal strength of his wifi. It worked great. My problem is I need a wired connection to my blu-ray player (in the back room).

If I buy a Airport Express and set it up as a "extender" using Airport Utility, will the ethernet connections still at the same time? The girl on Apple Chat (sales) said it would, but I wanted some more technical savy advice.

Also, if anyone has used a non Apple product with good results, I'd like to know about that too.

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
The Ethernet connector will work just fine. However, I doubt the ISP allows you to split internet between households like that.

OP
K
Reaction score
The Ethernet connector will work just fine. However, I doubt the ISP allows you to split internet between households like that.

Thanks!

We are going to upgrade to the highest speed they offer. I can't see how they would care if you had 2 compters, 2 blu-ray players or 200.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Thanks!

We are going to upgrade to the highest speed they offer. I can't see how they would care if you had 2 compters, 2 blu-ray players or 200.

Because I'm sure they don't want you to be in separate households. I can pretty much guarantee it's against their terms, and quite possibly illegal as theft-of-service depending on where you live.

But hey, if you're sure they're fine with it, why not call and ask them to make sure? ;)

OP
K
Reaction score
Because I'm sure they don't want you to be in separate households. I can pretty much guarantee it's against their terms, and quite possibly illegal as theft-of-service depending on where you live.

But hey, if you're sure they're fine with it, why not call and ask them to make sure? ;)

Fair enough. I have a young daughter. I don't want to do anything illegal.

We called netflix before we shared that account and they said as long as you didn't have more than (x) devices connected at one time, they were fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.