Cropping in iPhoto

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I often want to crop from just one side of a photo. However, when I click CROP, the crop frame is placed in such a way that all four sides are 'cropped'. I then have to drag the three sides I don't want to crop! The process of cropping thus takes far longer than is necessary. Is there a way to place the crop frame on the actual edge of the photo, leaving me to decide how much to crop from each side? I've tried selecting 'Original' in the Constrain box (bottom of the screen) but it makes no difference.

Thanks for your time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Three sides? Try just two corners. There I've just saved you a third of your work :).

'course you just use Preview (Tools Crop) if photos are not in iPhoto.

OP
E
Reaction score
Try just two corners. There I've just saved you a third of your work :).

Thanks, Sawday. ;-) Yep, certainly quicker but still frustrating having to do even that much.

'course you just use Preview (Tools Crop) if photos are not in iPhoto.

Yeah, I've used that to crop pics that don't need any other editing (such as straightening or colour-enhancing). It'd be nice if iPhoto behaved the same way: 'select all' puts a frame around the edge. Perfect! :)

All the best.

C

chas_m

Is there a way to place the crop frame on the actual edge of the photo

Yes, just drag the entire crop area to one (or two) edges as a shape. By this I do NOT mean grabbing the border and resizing the crop area, I mean grab and drag like you would an object. THEN you can grab an edge and resize if necessary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.