Couple beginner Q's about iDefrag?

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Some people on this forum recommended iDefrag to me, so I've got it and am using it for the first time

A couple of questions for the more knowledgeable people than me..

1) I try to click "Go" and I get an error: "You cannot use this algorithm on the selected volume. Off-line algorithms need to unmount the disk so you need to boot from a different disk, partition, computer or CD/DVD. Alternatively, use the Quick (on-line) algorithm."

This time i just changed the Algorithm dropdown to "Quick (online)" but I don't know how to resolve this error or what it means?? I guess until I find out i will not be able to run a proper defrag and will have to use this online option??

2) If i pause the defrag process, do some work, then resume it, is this bad practice?

3) If i move the little arrow on the slider showing different bars of colours, does this interrupt the defrag??

Thanks!! :)

OP
B
Reaction score
Oh - i found this in relation to question 1:
"Well you have to make a boot CD with iDefrag on it. I bought iDefrag from coriolis-systems and when you go to Download the software, you can also download the software (For free if you purchased iDefrag) to burn a boot CD; its called Coriolis CDMaker.

iDefrag will defrag any Hard drive, but you cannot be currently be useing it while its defragging. "

But I have never made a CD with an application on it before like iDefrag. Does anyone have a resource/link to teach me how to do this?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You do not need to create a disc if you bought the current version of iDefrag.

You cannot do a full defrag while you are booted up in OS X though.

I only start full defrags right before I go to bed - I have 175Gb of data on my drive and it takes roughly 4 hours to defrag.

Set it to Full Defrag, click the Go button and you should get a pop up with the option to either Cancel or Restart Now. Choose Restart Now and it will reboot the machine and defrag the selected partition.

And I'll also note, I have not found iDefrag useful for me more than about once every 6 months or more - and I move a lot of data - For ex - my current TM backup is 5 months old and is 500GB in size vs the 175GB actually used on my system partition.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.