Good Notetaking app for Mac

Reaction score
I currently have an iPad and use PenUltimate as a notetaking app on the iPad and like it a lot. Now I plan to purchase a MacBook Air and I will take this computer with me to meetings and other types of appointments. I'm going to use it for many things but one of the main things I plan to use it for is to take Notes.
I understand it's not a touch screen computer but instead of simplly using TextEdit or Word I'd like to know if there's any good notetaking applications for the Mac. I'd like one where I could simply type notes but if possible use the Trackpad or tools to do some minimal drawing in notes and possibly even use the microphone for voice notes. I'd also like the ability to take organize these notes in categories, etc. Is there anything like this available for the Mac?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I haven't seen anything that combines everything you listed for the Mac - but Circus Ponies NoteBook - Take Great Notes has many of the features you described. You may have to find a separate stand alone recording app.

Reaction score
Try Curio. Works well for me with notetaking. You can record with the mic and the webcam and some drawing with the touchpad or a graphics tablet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I love Evernote. Cross-platform and awesome.

On the iPad, Penultimate is great for creative note taking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I love Evernote. Cross-platform and awesome.

On the iPad, Penultimate is great for creative note taking.

I agree. I recently started using Evernote again and it is pretty darn sweet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.