How do i keep my new sandybridge imac running smoothly and snappy?

Reaction score
I just bought my first iMac ever, and so far i'm loving everything about it, but I am a HUGE neat freak and obsessed with keeping my techno gadgets, computers, and iphone - clean, virus free, spyware free, and running in TIP TOP shape at all times - I have already downloaded Onyx, And Sophos Anti Virus - But im curious to know if theres any other applications that do other things that are necessary for my new iMac aside from the functions of these 2 applications and anyway to monitor and make sure theres no disk errors or fatal errors on my system - Im not the most knowledgeable about computers, i am better than average but if there are any things i could do to improve my iMacs performance or just know any useful applications/websites in general id GREATLY appreciate your help - Thank you

Reaction score
I've downloaded tens if not 100 of applications to do the same thing, I try them out, but on the whole I just let the supplied Apple software take care of my iMac, with no problems at all, several years now.

However, take a look at Tinkertools, this enables you to save screen grabs in .jpg format.
But use other parts of it cautiously.

The best thing to keep your iMac running smoothly, keep an eye on the various Mac Forums, and ask questions from the more experienced users, as you have done here, a good start.
One place to start, utilise keyboard shortcuts, the option key is the one by the space bar, with the apple on it. 

Buy an extra external hard disc drive, 500mb+, to use as a back up, utilising Apple's Time Machine. Helps you to revert if you tinker too much.

You'll never go back to a PC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Don't fill your HDD beyond 75% or 80% capacity. Be sure you have plenty of RAM for the apps that you will be using. Get rid of Sophos. It's only gonna slow you down.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the help guys, I'm definitaly gonna look into Tinkertools - And i am actually curious to know which is the best Web Browser to run on a Mac? Im debating between Chrome And Firefox

Reaction score
Thanks alot for the help guys, I'm definitaly gonna look into Tinkertools - And i am actually curious to know which is the best Web Browser to run on a Mac? Im debating between Chrome And Firefox

I actually prefer Camino, a cousin of Firefox.

Firefox has many extra add-ons, Chrome is still new, I don't like it.
There's something you cannot do in Chrome, but I can't remember what it is !

Found it, NO menu bar !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5
This is not meant to be critical, but since you describe yourself as a neat freak who wants things not only clean but (I'm guessing) uncluttered, you really might rethink your decision to keep software like Sophos AntiVirus on your machine. There is practically no evidence that it's necessary -- and there is a lot of evidence that it can interfere with smooth running of your Mac. Unnecessary and potentially gunking up your fast beautiful iMac ... that's antithetical to your whole viewpoint!

Just an opinion. Congratulations on the iMac!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You should only need to run Onyx about once every 2-3 months max.
I just use the Automation tab and check off everything in the Maintenance and Cleaning sections.

And even after the escapades of last week, I still agree with the above post.

OP
J
Reaction score
Its ok to be critical thats what i want! You have to understand im a lifetime PC user i dont know how to feel secure going on websites and downloading applications off megaupload or mediafire without having antivirus, is it really possible that Mac's are 99.9% safe from viruses? What is it about Macs rather than PC's that have hundreds of PC's that make them so immune to spyware Malware and viruses? Please explain fully if you have the time, id love to know and understand this operating system, why its so secure, and where you go to see new virus definitions for the Mac OS. I also downloaded Sophos cause it was a staff pick on apples downloads page on apple.com i thought it had to be legit!!

Also what do you guys think about the application Little Snitch? I have it not really sure what its doing i know i have to constantly allow programs to run but i know its watching something.

I really appreciate the help im just trying to get a feel for my mac, but you guys have given me some great answers, Thank You!

Reaction score
Also what do you guys think about the application Little Snitch? I have it not really sure what its doing i know i have to constantly allow programs to run but i know its watching something.

I really appreciate the help im just trying to get a feel for my mac, but you guys have given me some great answers, Thank You!

Little Snitch is an app that monitors you accessing the internet, and tells you when an app tries to "phone home"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Its ok to be critical thats what i want! You have to understand im a lifetime PC user i dont know how to feel secure going on websites and downloading applications off megaupload or mediafire without having antivirus, is it really possible that Mac's are 99.9% safe from viruses? What is it about Macs rather than PC's that have hundreds of PC's that make them so immune to spyware Malware and viruses? Please explain fully if you have the time, id love to know and understand this operating system, why its so secure, and where you go to see new virus definitions for the Mac OS. I also downloaded Sophos cause it was a staff pick on apples downloads page on apple.com i thought it had to be legit!!

Keep in mind the App Store is designed to sell apps whether you need that app or not and you don't.
On the virus part every year more fud is spread and with Apple gaining in sales and popularity it gets worse.
1) OSX is built on the Unix Kernel which currently is the most secure.
2) You really have to go out of your way to install a virus by giving it your admin password install from trusted and legit sites.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You should read this Sticky thread regarding malware and Mac security.
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/209182-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.