Time Machine error help SOS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro, iMac, iPod Touch, iphone, ipad
Ok, my uncle gave me today an external hard drive for me to make a backup of my computer, it is a samsung with 320GB, i think it is the cs5 or something like that. The problem is that it starts fine and after some time its being sincronized an error occurs, the error is that the files couldnt be copied onto the hard drive. Then it says to try later or if the problem persists to format it and try again. Ive already formated it about 3 times today, im MAC OS PLUS and MS DOS FAT.

what is occuring and how can i solve this?? PS: theres no connection erros because ive also changed the cable about 2 times, even bought a new one in walmart.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reformatting the drive to FAT-32 is not going to work as Time Machine will only work if the drive is formatted to HFS+. If the drive is formatted correctly and you're still getting errors, the drive might be defective.

Use Disk Utility to verify and repair the drive. Let us know what happens.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, im gonna try this but i cant find in disk utility the formqat HFS+, what is its complete name or how do i format it like this??

Thanks

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
also, do i format the whole 320GB or the 1 partition it has, because i see the title "320,07GB S2 portable drive" down under with an indent i see time machine security copies drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Go to Disk Utility with the external drive hooked up look for that drive in the left hand pane and select it ,now select erase which will give you the option of how you want it formatted. For TM I would use the whole drive.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to Disk Utility with the external drive hooked up look for that drive in the left hand pane and select it ,now select erase which will give you the option of how you want it formatted. For TM I would use the whole drive.
Ok dude thanks a lot, but the other guy said that i need the HSF+ format, which i dont know how to get it it, it isnt in the list of formats for disk utility, or what other format can i use so it will work cool on my time machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS Extended (journaled) = HFS+

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
then if it doestn work what do i do?? because its often a few 30 GB that the error occurs, could it also be a file that generates an error?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
then if it doestn work what do i do?? because its often a few 30 GB that the error occurs, could it also be a file that generates an error?

If you reformat no file exists that would indicate a bad drive have you tried it yet?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im gonna try it right now.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im in the procces right now, it isnt getting the error, but i think it is now stuck... It says in the loading bar "Aligning" and in the status on the upper bar it says "cleaning..."
is it normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the last time I did a 250gb it took over an hour just let it finish.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok thanks a lot for you it worked perfectly right now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.