G-Drive for macbook pro

Reaction score
Hows it going guys im new to this so bare with me if im in the wrong sections or something.

I just bought a g drive (external hard drive) 750gb and had a question im pretty sure i know the answer to it but for a better piece of mind i just wanted to double check.

After backing everything up to this gdrive thru time machine am i able to delete the original files off my macintosh hd to free up some space? and if i need the files i deleted i can just go through them from the time machine. correct?

thanks for any help and responses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can, but if the G-Drive gets full, Time Machine will start to delete older items.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My first inclination and recommendation when someone asks about deleting files from their Mac is don't do it. Unless you have some useless programs that you installed or a bunch of junk files (old music, videos, mp3s, etc) that you want to get rid of, leave everything else alone.

Time Machine can backup everything on the hard drive but it shouldn't be used as an excuse to make room on the hard drive. If you need more space, buy a larger internal hard drive or another external hard drive for storage.

OP
G
Reaction score
yea no i have a good size hard drive its just getting filled with files from last year and earlier so i barely open them anymore but at this time im iffy about deleting them without any chance of getting them back

OP
G
Reaction score
obv not a good size tho if i came close to filling it up already haha

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
Archive Them

yea no i have a good size hard drive its just getting filled with files from last year and earlier so i barely open them anymore but at this time im iffy about deleting them without any chance of getting them back

Have you considered Archiving them to an External Drive.
This lets you still keep them but allows you to remove them from your Internal Drive?

DavidH

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.