Macbook Pro optical drive

Reaction score
I have an issue with my macbook pro optical drive.
There are several cd's and dvd's that it reads with no problem.

Then there are other cd's that when I insert them it tells me that I have inserted a blank cd.
When I put the same cd in my other macbook it reads the cd just fine.
Ive tried the reset options and that hasn't done any good either.

The drive is a Matshitadvd-2 uj-867

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go to your local electronic store or Radio Shack and buy a can of compressed air. Send a couple of quick blasts of air into the drive slot. If the lens is dusty or dirty, that should clean it off.

Reaction score
I'm personally not a fan of the compressed air method as it tends to dislodge the settled dust, which just settles on the lens again...

Best thing to do is remove the drive, take its lid off (5 screws) and carefully clean the lens with isoprop alcohol and a lint-free swab.

It is possible to clean it without removing the drive, but it's bloody fiddly...with the laptop off, insert a swab wrapped around a thin bit of plastic into the slot, about 10mm off centre. The drive parks its laser sled roughly there, so you can *just* get it. I don't recommend this though as you can't see what you're doing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.