Using Powermac G3 as NAS

Reaction score
I have been doing a bit of research lately and have decided that I would like to try and use my Powermac G3 as a NAS/File server. Is there a way I could connect it to my router install some software and have my other macs recognise it as an external hard drive.

Specs:

512mb ram
120gb HDD
cd-rw drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air 11" (2012), Macbook Pro 15" (Early 2008), Mac Mini i5 (2012)
Assuming you have OSX installed (10.3 or 10.4 would be best), all you need to do is turn on file sharing from system prefs, specify which folders to share (remember to check permissions on each share too).

I would also set a static IP for the box to make it easier to troubleshoot and connect to.

Once it's setup and on the network, your other macs can connect to it via the finder window (depending on OS version) or, more efficiently via the connect to server dialogue box under finder->go menu (Command+K is the shortcut).

From there, just enter the DNS name you assigned (eg //powermacg3.local) or IP (eg //10.10.0.23). Press the + button to add to the list of machines for the future use. Just log in with the G3's credentials and select the share to mount.

Very easy to do. If you're running OS9, it's a different story.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.