Scanner not working after Snow Leopard upgrade

Reaction score
PLEASE help me, I'm pulling my hair out!

We have a 2 year old iMac 8,1. I just upgraded to OS X 10.6.7 (Snow Leopard and ILife '11). Now my printer/scanner is not working, Canon MP620. I went to the Canon web site and downloaded the new drivers. I re-installed the printers with the included software. I deleted and re-added the printer. After doing all this my printer now works but not the scanner. It is directly connected to the computer but the computer is wireless connected to the router.

When I try to scan a document it says "Searching for scanners..." The message then states "Cannot communicate with scanner. Cable may be disconnected or scanner may be turned off. Check status. Click [Scanner Selection] if you want to select another scanner. Scanner drive wil be closed. "

Please help! I am at my wit's end.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What application are you using when you are trying to scan? That happened with one of my HP all in one printers too. I usually used the software that came with the printer to scan, however after the OS upgrade the new drivers were not as good.

I ended up having to use preview to scan my documents which works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have that same printer and it works fine with Snow Leopard 10.6.7 for printing and scanning wirelessly. What you're going to have to do is download the following and run them with the Canon MP 620 hooked to your iMac via the USB cable:

Canon IJ Network Scan Utility.app
Canon IJ Network Tool.app
Canon IJ Printer Utility.app

It's been awhile so you may have to experiment a bit. But I believe if you run the Network Scan Utility.app, it will then "see" your wireless network and ask permission to use it. After that, you can remove the USB cable and it should work wirelessly for printing and scanning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Reawakening this thread, I too have encountered Canon MP printer problems since the OS 10.6 update to the latest version (10.6.7). The problems were not present under 10.6.4, which came with my new Mac Mini.

The Canon machines I have are MP110 and MP450.

A workaround is available via Image Capture, but the Canon software no longer allows scanning. Not good, since settings were user-friendly and produced good results.

Fortunately I still have my trusty eMac with OS 10.4.11, and both MPs continue to work flawlessly with that, but it's not a good look for the MacOS when it causes earlier model peripherals to cease functioning from within their own software. There is nothing on the Canon website, other than an MP Navigator 2 (450) update, no updated scanner drivers.

Another thing - the OmniPage (SE) edition software included with the Canon disks does not install under OS 10.6.7.

Any solutions, other than Image Capture and Preview?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.