Apps for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2 16GB WiFi (White), MacBook Pro, iPhone 3GS 16GB (White), iPod Nano (Orange), [MacBook]
Okay, this might seem lazy to some, but I'm overwhelmed by the number of apps in different reviews and even just browsing the AppStore. I could do with a helping hand to get started with some good apps. What apps would people recommend for me?

I like / am intrerested in using my iPad for:

- Design (such as using Photoshop)
- Casual reading (not books, more like articles, magazines, news, etc.)
- Games (I know a few because of iPhone, such as: Angry Birds, Asphault 6, Plants V Zombies. But are there any good iPad exclusive games that make the most of the large screen?)
- Technology (Any sort of cool apps?)
- Football ('Soccer', any good football apps for the UK?)
- Connectivity (Connecting (wirelessly) to iPhone, MacBook Pro, etc)
- Music (Any good music apps for finding new music?)

Also, I have a WiFi only model, so I'm looking for some good offline apps so I don't feel stranded and unprepared when I'm in a non-WiFi area.

My favourite apps so far:

Flipboard
Garageband (though I think this is just a novelty that will wear off)
iBooks

Thanks in advance! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Design: Photoshop Express, Filterstorm, Photogene, SketchBook Pro*
Reading: (RSS feeds?) Feeddler Pro, The Daily, BBC News, GoodReader*
Games: What games do you like to play? There are thousands that use the whole screen.
Tech: Like what?
"Football": If you are looking for a game, TUAW's Daily iOS App: First Touch Soccer otherwise, dunno.
Connectivity: You cant control the iPhone, however you can computers. Splashtop it probably the best.
Music: Pandora, iHeartRadio, Radio, Planetary

* Sketchbook Pro is an awesome app for creating artwork and working in layers. Use it with the free and good Photoshop Express.
* GoodReader should be on every iPad no matter what.
* AppShopper is a free app tracking program. You create your wishlist of apps and it keeps track of changes in pricing and updates. I have been able to save so much money not having to pay full price.

OP
Overtino
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 2 16GB WiFi (White), MacBook Pro, iPhone 3GS 16GB (White), iPod Nano (Orange), [MacBook]
Thanks for the reply Brad (If you couldn't tell my sig was inspired by yours!)

I will definitely be checking those apps out.

Games: iPhone games I've enjoyed have been Sonic the Hedgehog, Papijump, Angry Birds, Cows in Space, Ran on Run... but on my Xbox I enjoy FIFA and first person games such as Portal, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty. Not sure which type of games iPad is more suitable for?

Tech: Just cool apps. Really cool apps that will WOW people... like, maybe your iPhone can be used to link up with household objects and tell you when your fridge is running low on food or run a bath for you or something (I know they are ridiculous examples, but I can't think of anything realistic at the moment).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
There are a ton of FPS games worth getting:
Archetype, Contract Killer, Dead Space HD, N.O.V.A. 2, Overkill, Rage HD, Resident Evil 4 HD, Zombie Apocalypse HD.

Adventure games: Infinity Blade (must get), Dungeon Hunter 2, Aralon HD

You will find many of the games you have for your iPhone will also work with the iPad, though others will require a second purchase.

Cool tech: iSpy, Crackle, Forge of Neon, Tesla Toy, Planetary (must get), Adobe Ideas, GoSkyWatch, Intellicast HD, Find My iPhone

There are some home automation apps, but without the home automation in place, they don't really work.

Reaction score
I'll second Dead Space and Infinity Blade; excellent games.

Reeder
Instapaper
HBO Go (assuming you already pay for HBO)
Netflix
Hulu+
Twitter
Friendly

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
For news, check out Zite. So far the nicest and quickest news app. You can customize the articles, and tell it if you want to see more of something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.