iMac 27 late 2009 i7 version - Need help upgrading to SSD hard drive

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a late model iMac 27inch 2009 i7 desktop. I would like to upgrade my main hard drive to a 256gb SSD hard drive from macsales.com and DIY myself. Before I go ahead and make the purchase, would you please let me know what I need as in hardware and setups to get this done?

I recall reading a post somewhere that if I install a SSD hard drive to replace my 1TB hard drive I need to modify the hard drive temp sensor, otherwise the fan will constantly spin? I would also like to keep my current 1tb sata hard drive as a secondary drive inside the iMac.

Can all this be done without removing my CD-rom super drive? Thanks!

OP
S
Reaction score
If I wish to keep my current 1TB hard drive will I need to forfeit the super drive and replace it with an external drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, make sure you're up to doing the work yourself. You'll need some special items such as two large suction cups, a set of torx drivers, several spungers, and other tools. Keep in mind that the entire front panel including the display will have to be removed to gain access into your iMac.

I recommend going to iFixit: The free repair manual and take a look at their instructions for gaining access into the iMac. They have step by step instructions on how to change out the hard drive.

I'm not sure if OWC sells the add on bracket to place your hard drive in. What you may need to do is put the SSD in the extra bracket not where your 1 TB drive is in order to keep the temperature sensor working.

OP
S
Reaction score
Can I replace my super drive and add a SSD hard drive with a bracket in place where the super drive use to be located and make that hard drive the primary drive?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not on an iMac. The special bracket and hardware for replacing the optical drive are made for the MacBook Pro only. Won't work on an iMac because the mounting is different.

Also, I think you're not aware that is doesn't matter where you put the SSD since it can be your primary boot drive regardless.

Install the SSD in the special bracket, leave the 1 TB drive alone. Make the SSD bootable by installing OS X on it. Then, open System Preferences, Startup Disk, and select the SSD as the default boot drive. The system will then boot from the SSD.

OP
S
Reaction score
Not on an iMac. The special bracket and hardware for replacing the optical drive are made for the MacBook Pro only. Won't work on an iMac because the mounting is different.

Also, I think you're not aware that is doesn't matter where you put the SSD since it can be your primary boot drive regardless.

Install the SSD in the special bracket, leave the 1 TB drive alone. Make the SSD bootable by installing OS X on it. Then, open System Preferences, Startup Disk, and select the SSD as the default boot drive. The system will then boot from the SSD.

So I don't need to remove my super drive? I though I read somewhere that I will lose my super drive if I decide to install an additional SSD hard drive? Do I lose the super drive because I need an extra SATA connection for the new SSD hard drive?

What is this special bracket I need to install the SSD? Will this special bracket work with my late 2009 iMac i7 system? Do I need any cables?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Take a look at this thread on the Mac Rumors Forum: LINK

Also, Other World Computing has a variety of SSDs and a turnkey upgrade program you can take a look at. Not sure if it's just for the 2010 iMac though....

From what I've read, the SSD can be added to have a second drive rather than remove the stock drive. It does require a bit of work though, so read thru the thread on Mac Rumors and do some more research first before attempting it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.