Does anyone know how to increase power to belkin USB wifi ?

Reaction score
I was wondering how to increase power to a wifi usb so i can reach my router downstairs.

it has 500mA available, however out of the box it runs less.

Here is some more info on the usb stick:

Belkin 54g USB Network Adapter:

Product ID: 0x7050
Vendor ID: 0x050d (Belkin Corporation)
Version: 0.01
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Belkin
Location ID: 0x24100000
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 300

Vendor: Belkin
Device: F5D7050
MAC range: 00:11:50
FCC ID: K7S-F5D7050A
Chipset: rt2571F

Im running an intel 13" macbook
osx 10.6.7

thank you guys

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Unless you're planning to perform surgery on that USB adapter - it's not a possibility. If you need greater range - you'll need to purchase a network adapter that is designed for that something like this or many other possibilities. When Wireless NICs first came out there used to be jacks for external antennas to improve performance - but those have long fallen off these devices.

You may be able to get some additional range if you use the deskstop stand that Belkin provides for those little USB adapters.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As has already been said, you should be looking at replacement instead of modification. The little USB WiFi NICs have very limited antennas and just don't pull the kind of signal that a good antenna would.

QuickerTek has USB WiFi adapters with REAL antennas that will net you decent range, but they don't come cheap:

Your One Stop for WiFi and Power Products for Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.