• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What time will Jobs add blu-ray playing feature to Mac?

Reaction score
Heard some news which indicates “Blu-ray isn't coming to Macs any time soon”, and just wonder when will this spell be broken? I mean, as Blu-ray movie creations spreads, will Jobs change his mind?

While Blu-ray media players like PowerDVD are available for Windows users, I haven’t been aware of any blu-ray media players for playing bluray directly on Mac. Aren’t there any third-party developer planning to supply Mac Blu-ray player?

For the time being, I have to rip Blu-ray movies to HDD first before I can watch them on my iMac. This is time-consuming, as it usually takes 1-2 hours to rip a Blu-ray movie to Mac. QuickTime will not play them even they are ripped, and I have to install other media players for playing Blu-ray specifically.

Will there be any Blu-ray media player for Mac? I just want to watch Blu-ray on my iMac instantly.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That's what I said 4 yrs ago when I got my first Mac. OS X still does not have the codecs to support commercial B-R playback and it is doubtful that it ever will.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Blu-Ray is a dead breed. Digital is the future. We won't see native Blu-Ray support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
Blu-Ray is a dead breed. Digital is the future. We won't see native Blu-Ray support.

I agree..

My backup vio reads BR and I never use it.
Would rather download

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Blu-Ray is direct competition for iTunes digital downloads. Don't expect to have it added anytime soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I have yet to buy a Blue-Ray player for my HD TVs. At this point I refuse to spend $30+ for a movie (no matter how many formats they give it to me in). I'm going all digital at this point and with multiple ATV 2s and the ability to build my own high quality digital library for far less money, I'm not looking back.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Blu-Ray is direct competition for iTunes digital downloads. Don't expect to have it added anytime soon.

But then again, so is DVD. Argue quality all you want, but it's not even tangible on anything smaller than a 50" TV - and even then, you've got to be pretty close to it to pick out the differences.

Don't get me wrong, I like my B-R player, it's just that it's not the same kind of quantum leap in quality that going from VCR to DVD was.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC

I dont think its quite dead yet. Many of us dont have super high broadband download speeds, and cant simply download GBs of videos in next to no time.

also, bear in mind the potential it has in terms of storage. BD DL can have a massive 50GBs of capacity. so it could be great as a backup medium.

But no, Apple need to make money first and foremost...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont think its quite dead yet. Many of us dont have super high broadband download speeds, and cant simply download GBs of videos in next to no time.

also, bear in mind the potential it has in terms of storage. BD DL can have a massive 50GBs of capacity. so it could be great as a backup medium.

But no, Apple need to make money first and foremost...

Given, not everyone has high-speed internet available, but as for using blu-ray as storage, I'd rather buy a 500GB HDD, it's a more affordable option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Given, not everyone has high-speed internet available, but as for using blu-ray as storage, I'd rather buy a 500GB HDD, it's a more affordable option.

Download Videos? That's so 2005. Come to the second decade of the 21st century with the rest of us. Why rely on some other Joe to control the quality of your media and expose yourself to the risks associated with visiting those kinds of sites (even on a Mac). No bandwidth? No problem.

As for potential 50 Gb of Storage on BR...well...500Gb hard drives are selling for $50 or less here in the US, 1TB drives for less than $100, 2TB drives for less than $150 and 3TB drives for less than $200. Who needs blu ray where one scratch = loose everything?

Seriously.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
But then again, so is DVD.

True, but I believe Blu-Ray has licensing costs that DVD does not. Therefore, it truly is an economic decision.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, right now I back up to Hard drives and DVDs. that way, if the hard drive fails, i still have a physical copy somewhere. I dont think its a bad idea.

one scratch can lose everything, so put it in a case. hard drives fail for alot of different reasons that you also cant control. i like to try and cover my back using different mediums.

as prices come down, we could see this happen more.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Well, right now I back up to Hard drives and DVDs. that way, if the hard drive fails, i still have a physical copy somewhere. I dont think its a bad idea.

one scratch can lose everything, so put it in a case. hard drives fail for alot of different reasons that you also cant control. i like to try and cover my back using different mediums.

as prices come down, we could see this happen more.

Like to see ya put my 4-5TB of data on DVDs. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Apple only continues to include DVDs because it's a popular method to distrubte software, but we all see where Apple is heading with that...

I don't think Macs will have DVD players after this year, next year at the most. At least, not the portables.

Personally, I bought a blu-ray player last year. I've watched one blu-ray movie on it. I use it daily for watching netflix, even the it's netflix interface is terrible. I'll hang onto it "just in case" but that never seems to be the case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I love how the MBAs come with USB restore media. I wish the rest of the line did. Its much quicker to restore that way, and very annoying to restore a Mac Mini Server with optical media.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I still like having my physical media cd,sacd and dvd-a for music and dvd and blu-ray for
movies but then again I don't watch blu-rays on anything less than a 42" plasma at my
house.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Call me set in my ways, but I like having the physical product when i buy something. It just doesnt feel the same when i download it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.