so whats the deal with those new pbs...

M

menace3054

ive been waiting to buy a new pb again for quite some time. Ive been putting it off because of the anticipated upgrades, and the "dont buy' recommendation on mac buyers guide. Im getting really impatient and want my pb! does anyone here know if they are still expecting a new line of pbs' in the future?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
menace3054 said:
ive been waiting to buy a new pb again for quite some time. Ive been putting it off because of the anticipated upgrades, and the "dont buy' recommendation on mac buyers guide. Im getting really impatient and want my pb! does anyone here know if they are still expecting a new line of pbs' in the future?
If you ask me, listening to those sites is only going to make you wait and wait and wait and wait...and wait some more.
Nobody can really tell you with a significant degree of accuracy when/if an update is coming. Those predictions of updates are just that...predictions and guesses as to what/when and update might occur. Sure, eventually they are going to be updated. That is just the way technology works. Even on the off chance that an update would come, it would likely be minimal. Besides, it wouldn't be like the one you buy today would suddenly be a piece of crap if they did update the PowerBook line after you bought it.
:)

My advice would be to stop waiting and get one if you really want one :black:

OP
M

menace3054

see thats the thing, right now its more of a want than a need. If i bought a pb for 2200 (15" superdrive) and then a few weeks from now a new one came out, however small the differences may or may not be, i would be sligtly upset

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

menace3054 said:

i doubt a new powerbook will come. i bought mine after the last keynote when steve said no powerbook g5 anytime soon and annouced the intel change. i bet they will raise the powerbooks speeds a few 100mhz but i would just buy now and enjoy it cuse you cant tell the diffrence between a few 100mhz. and i doubt they will change anything major like the chip. most of these they are going to upgrade soon rumors are the same ones over and over again and have been going on and on for the past year.

OP
B

Biturbo V12 AMG

menace3054 said:
see thats the thing, right now its more of a want than a need. If i bought a pb for 2200 (15" superdrive) and then a few weeks from now a new one came out, however small the differences may or may not be, i would be sligtly upset

something will always come out better. buy what you like now and be happy. its like having 200grand and wanting to buy a ferrari you say ow i dont want the 360 they are making a better 430 now so ill wait a few years and buy one. then once you get your chance to buy a 430 they make a better car and you wait. and so on. but if you bought the 360 you would have a great car and been able to enjoy it all those years you where waiting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I would say buy if you have the cash and want one... no matter how you slice it, there will always be updates. But Macs have excellent staying power in the computing world, so you can bet that anything you buy now will last just as long as it would if you waited and bought later...

Besides, the only really striking upgrade is likely to be the Intel switch, which is still about 18 months away- and I doubt you want to wait that long!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If one waits forever for because something new may come out, you will wait forever. If a new one comes out tomorrow, it will have a Freescale CPU, but in a few months after that one with Intel's new Mobile CPU that is due out next year will be here and you will be mad because you did not wait and after that a few months there will be another one with more changes. There will always be new systems with a few changes. If the Current PB will do the job for you now and in the future, I would just go purchase one. I got my Mini knowing full well there would be changes, but I did not want to wait forever for my new Mac.

If I was going to wait for a new PB it would be the ones next year with the new version of the Centrino, (forget the name right now).

OP
M

menace3054

sounds good.. i know there would always be updates, and if there was one, in say a month, it would be luck of the draw. I was more concerned with like my buying one now and then come next week theres a nice spanking new one with 128mb v-ram standard, 16x superdrive, etc..

i have my powermac on ebay and as soon, and if it sells, i will be buying my 2nd powerbook :) thx for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL
menace3054 said:

I'm with you on this one. I'm also considering to get a PB (either 12" or 15") and I actually don't need it right away (although I'm really tired of winblows).
however, if I get one now and a new one comes out in say 2-3 weeks I'd be pissed.

true, there's always the computer of 2morrow and some time you just have to make a decision, but it's kinda hard.

OP
J

JMan09

I am only waiting because I don't have the cash to get one right now. But if I had the money I would buy one today. And when I get the money in a few months(about to start working) then I'll buy whatever is out even if the intels are coming out soon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.