After Lion

Reaction score
So it has been pretty clear that the Mac and the iOS product lines are going to merge in the next few years, as demonstrated by the patents for the touch screen iMac and spaces on the iPad. Likely, Lion or 10.8 will be the last version of OS X. Nothing Earth shattering here.

BUT by some bizarre alignment of time and space, what if they named it OS Xi, or just XI since XI=11. It almost seems like this was planned in the 90s. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
And what do you make of X11 fro Apple? I have version 2.0 in my Utilities Folder. I don't even know what it does for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
So it has been pretty clear that the Mac and the iOS product lines are going to merge in the next few years, as demonstrated by the patents for the touch screen iMac and spaces on the iPad. Likely, Lion or 10.8 will be the last version of OS X. Nothing Earth shattering here.

BUT by some bizarre alignment of time and space, what if they named it OS Xi, or just XI since XI=11. It almost seems like this was planned in the 90s. :p

I would disagree with that assessment. I think iOS and OSX will share more functionality but iOS will not be able to handle what people want done on a full blown machine. I'd like some real evidence of this trend you seem to see.

Fact is, iOS is already an offshoot of OSX, simply with a different GUI for a different type of device.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)

As I noted in this thread about the "iOSification" of OS X yesterday:
I doubt that. iOS doesn't offer anywhere near the functionality needed by computer users. It's great for portable devices but I can't ever see it being scaled up to meet the needs of Mac users.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.