Desktop GONE

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I have a Mac OS X 10.4.11

I was just cleaning out the desktop, deleting unnecessary files etc. when I noticed the Preview application wouldn't let me view any files I opened with it...

I thought I might have accidentally deleted the Preview app so I went into the trash to see if I had, I couldn't find anything, so I thought I would restore ALL of my trash to the desktop, to see if the Preview actually had been deleted.. Anyway my computer froze up (as one might expect when attempting to restore some 1500 files and apps from the trash). So, being the smart cookie I am, I turned the computer off (without shutting down), then when I went to turn it back on... EVERYTHING from the desktop was gone! I can't find anything under Spotlight, Finder won't open. All of the apps on the dock work fine... Except I can't get into the Trash or the Finder.

Please, any assistance with this would be very much appreciated. My entire life is on this computer.

Kindest regards,,

OP
J
Reaction score
Again, not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I have a Mac OS X 10.4.11

I was just cleaning out the desktop, deleting unnecessary files etc. when I noticed the Preview application wouldn't let me view any files I opened with it...

I thought I might have accidentally deleted the Preview app so I went into the trash to see if I had, I couldn't find anything, so I thought I would restore ALL of my trash to the desktop, to see if the Preview actually had been deleted.. Anyway my computer froze up (as one might expect when attempting to restore some 1500 files and apps from the trash). So, being the smart cookie I am, I turned the computer off (without shutting down), then when I went to turn it back on... EVERYTHING from the desktop was gone! I can't find anything under Spotlight, Finder won't open. All of the apps on the dock work fine... Except I can't get into the Trash or the Finder.

Please, any assistance with this would be very much appreciated. My entire life is on this computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Finder won't open. All of the apps on the dock work fine... Except I can't get into ... the Finder.

Please explain how you can see the Dock without Finder open, or a Desktop, as your title declares.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Do you know what "cross-posting" is? You've done it, in violation of the forum's rules.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Merged threads...no need to crosspost. Thanks.

OP
J
Reaction score
tomacsh,

No, I clearly was not aware that "cross-posting" was 'illegal' on this site. Or else I wouldn't have done it.

In response to your other comment, yes my title does say "Desktop gone", which was an abbreviated form of my problem which is that: everything on my desktop is gone. Forgive me for not speaking in perfect sentences, but I am a tad flustered right now. Besides, titles are supposed to be brief.

... If your idea of 'helping someone', is to complain about everything they're doing wrong, then would you mind doing that somewhere else? I'm a new member, and am obviously not familiar with the rules and regulations of this site yet. Give me a break.

OP
J
Reaction score
If anyone is able to help me with my problem that would be greatly appreciated. I have managed to open Finder, via Spotlight (which is working now). However, Finder has pretty much frozen, and anything I try to do, just responds with the rainbow wheel!

It looks as though EVERYTHING from my Trash is now on the Desktop (in Finder only, not the actual Desktop, that's still empty). Could the reason why Finder is not opening be due to the fact that the Desktop has too much stuff on it? If so, how would I delete everything from the Desktop (again, this is the Desktop items list in Finder, not the actual Desktop).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How full is your hard drive (how many gig's used & how many gigs free)?

If it's VERY full...this could explain things.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to find this out? Do I go to the apple icon and click 'About this mac'?

OP
J
Reaction score
If I click the apple --> about this mac --> more info --> under contents --> hardware --> memory.. the following things come up

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 512 MB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 667 MHz

BANK 1/DIMM1:

Size: 512 MB
Type: DDR2 SDRAM
Speed: 667 MHz

I am so confused!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am so confused!

Yes you are!;)

"Memory" is ram...storage space deals with your hard drive. Single-click on your hard drive icon...then do the 2 key keyboard combination Command + i

In case you don't know...the "command" key is the one with the 4-leaf clover looking symbol on it.

A window will open...and this will give you the hard drive info we're looking for (gigs used & gigs free).

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Since you can't open up Finder, open up System Profiler ( > About This Mac > More Info...) > Hardware > Serial-ATA. What does it say under "Volumes"?

OP
J
Reaction score
Eekk sorry I am not computer minded at all!

I just tried what you said, except a new window doesn't open... The rainbow wheel just spins for a while then stops spinning, and nothing else happens :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Since you can't open up Finder, open up System Profiler ( > About This Mac > More Info...) > Hardware > Serial-ATA. What does it say under "Volumes"?

Yeah...I wasn't 100% sure what can & can't be done at this point...so great idea!:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
To vansmith:

This is what it says:

Volumes:
232210.:
Capacity: 148.73 GB
Available: 101.17 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Eekk sorry I am not computer minded at all!

I just tried what you said, except a new window doesn't open... The rainbow wheel just spins for a while then stops spinning, and nothing else happens :(

Yes. Looks like you need to try what "vansmith" suggested.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Heya, I did and the following came up

Volumes:
232210.:
Capacity: 148.73 GB
Available: 101.17 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /

:) Sorry for re-posting it

OP
J
Reaction score
Hello? Does anyone have any idea at all how to mend this? I am so lost :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13 2.5GHz 121GB SSD
Do you have a recent backup to restore to? Time Machine perhaps?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Yeah...I wasn't 100% sure what can & can't be done at this point...so great idea!:)

- Nick
Thank you. I was going to write "open up Finder..." but quickly had to find an alternative way.

To the OP: start with checking the permissions. Take a look at this. Check Spotlight to see if you can open Disk Utility from there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.