Magsafe Falling Apart

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz Quad Core i7 Mid 2014 Macbook Pro 15" Retina, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Hey guys,

I work on my bed with my MBP 13" and I have the newer magsafe connector and the power plug is usually on my right. It fell apart as shown in the picture below. I know I probably shouldn't be using this right now, but it's my only one right and I gotta save up for a new one (I'm not very rich). Also, my computer has shut down randomly if I move it. I am very disappointed with Apple on this and not making the cable stronger. It's a very good connector and philosophy, but this is a big flaw I've seen.

Photo on 2011-05-09 at 17.01.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There have been complaints regarding the newer MagSafe adapters. Suggest when you do come up with extra money to buy another, that you look for and purchase the older type which seem to hold up better.

For the time being, be careful with that one as it could cause a fire - especially if you're using it from your bed.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If it truly just fell apart, bring it into the Apple Store and ask for a replacement. The worst they can say is "no".

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys,

I work on my bed with my MBP 13" and I have the newer magsafe connector and the power plug is usually on my right. It fell apart as shown in the picture below. I know I probably shouldn't be using this right now, but it's my only one right and I gotta save up for a new one (I'm not very rich). Also, my computer has shut down randomly if I move it. I am very disappointed with Apple on this and not making the cable stronger. It's a very good connector and philosophy, but this is a big flaw I've seen.

This doesn't look like normal "wear & tear" to me...but you never know...maybe the Apple Store will replace it.

Good luck,

- Nick

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
This doesn't look like normal "wear & tear" to me...but you never know...maybe the Apple Store will replace it.

Good luck,

- Nick

Big props for not being camera shy :D - but I'm with Nick - that doesn't look like a "just fell apart" situation. At the very least - you can make some rudimentary repairs to that cable to keep your computer from "just shutting down" on you. That to me implies you may be shorting two wires - which could easily be patched while you save for a new one. Don't inadvertently cause more damage to your computer when you could use a little tape to get you by.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
C'mon be honest, what REALLLLLLY happened to the cable?? ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Yeah, I'd be interested to know what really happened to that cable.... looks like it got jammed while folded in a car door or something.
In all my years doing electrical repairs, seeing many frayed cables, never saw anything like that other than from mishandling, even if accidental.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5 GHz Quad Core i7 Mid 2014 Macbook Pro 15" Retina, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
Few things:

One: I have the computer sometimes with the outlet to my right and the cable pulled and bended too far on the back of the display and eventually it winded up like that. I guess I did phrase it a little misleading

Two: How do you suggest fixing this in the meantime without buying a "new" one yet?

Three: Getting the old one sounds good since I don't think it could pull too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Being a moulded fitting, repairing it safely is not an option.

Cheap adapters here.
Amazon.com: Apple Mac Charger: Electronics

If you go for the unsafe option, go to an electrical/electronics supplier and get something like this.
Electric wire connectors....

and get some heat shrink too.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some great suggestions 6string!:)

Only thing I'm not sure of is if the cord on the power adapters is shielded (I thankfully haven't had the need to tear one apart).

Not that the repair can't be performed...just that the shielding would need to be peeled back a little before one of the connectors is used (I was thinking the "butt" connectors versus the "wire nuts" or "shrink tubing"). I use these all the time.

One thing that makes this repair difficult is that the damage is so close to the connector/end.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just that the shielding would need to be peeled back a little before one of the connectors is used (I was thinking the "butt" connectors versus the "wire nuts" or "shrink tubing"). I use these all the time.

I was thinking peeling back, connecting, shrink wrap over each individual connection and over it all once finished, and after your post, realised that what is in my mind isn't going to be in the OP's after reading my post, so thank you good sir.

Personally Nick, I wouldn't go any of my suggestions, even if I had the right connectors to post pictures of.
I really think of it as an unsafe option, and I'm with you there too, I haven't seen these cords first hand stripped down, and I doubt I will, as I don't work as sparky anymore, and haven't for ....sheesh, so many years I feel old just thinkin about it :D
For the $40 odd that those chargers would cost, I don't see sense in skimping and risking a fire hazard.

I've had no shortage of frayed cables (more to the point, the insulation) with nothing more than electrical tape to cover it, but I would never "advise" anyone to do their own repairs without having knowledge in what they are doing, even if it is with half the voltage that we have here in Oz.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For the $40 odd that those chargers would cost, I don't see sense in skimping and risking a fire hazard.

Got to agree...especially if someone is not very familiar with this sort of repair to make it safe & reliable.

Got my wife a 2nd genuine Apple adapter (used...for her MacBook) off e-Bay for $30 bucks (shipped) about 6-9 months ago. It has worked great...and at less than half the price for a new one!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gotta love it hey TommyBNSF?
As much as we questioned what really happened to your adapter, we all go out of our way to help :D

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All right, thanks guys for your input. I will probably get the older style charger since I'm becoming less of a fan of the newer one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.