Talktalk Mail receiving but not sending

Reaction score
Hi all, I am a brand new user of a MacBook Air.

I have successfully set up my TalkTalk mail account in Mail so that I can send and receive at home when connected to my TalkTalk wireless account.

Trouble is when out and about and connecting to a hotel wireless account I can receive but not send messages.

Can any one help? I have searched through previous threads but cannot find anything to help this specific problem.

I would like to keep this the TalkTalk email address if possible.

Cheers ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
It could be something to do with the hotel wireless firewall. Can you use it at other places?

- Simon

OP
R
Reaction score
Hi Simon, Thanks for replying.

This hotel is the only place away from home that I have tried logging onto so far. It is an unsecured wireless network. I will give it a go somewhere else.

However I can log on at this hotel on my business laptop successfully even though that does require me to go through a Virtual Private Network for security purposes.

Cheers

OP
R
Reaction score
All,

I am still having trouble with this. I am at my sister's on her wireless network. Again I can receive emails but not send.

On my work laptop I can send and receive. There has to be something wrong with my settings.... anyone have a clue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Setting up the mail program is fairly basic.

But only you can check your settings. Make sure that you have the POP3 and SMPT addresses entered as was given to you by your ISP (TalkTalk). Also check to see the outgoing mail option has your correct Userid and Password listed and that it has been saved.

OP
R
Reaction score
I have checked the settings and the thing I can see is that the account type is POP and not POP3 does that make a difference? And what I can't figure is why it works at home and not anywhere else?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.