I clicked an internet link and my HD menu etc. opened and Safari Crashed.Virus?

Reaction score
So I was doing a google search and clicked on a link. The title under it reads blog.prosperity.ie
After I clicked it my mac went nuts with a bunch of menus opening for my HD etc. I tried to immediately reset safari, but it wouldn't respond and some small windows opened asking me questions, but I was freaked out and thought some of them might be mac virus stuff. So I ended up just turning the power off to my imac. After turning it back on everything seems ok, but I just wanna make sure I didn't pick up some key logger or something. Any ideas on what I can do to check? I am somewhat new to macs and any help is much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
First off, being picky "virus" does not equal "key logger".

Secondly, there is no true "Mac virus stuff" out there.

Thirdly, shutting off the power is a bad idea. Better to force quit Safari.

Finally, it was probably just "scare ware" and it worked.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are no Mac viruses in the wild. There is some malware floating around but if you're careful and stay away from pirate sites you should have no problem. If you're using Safari, make sure you open its preferences and remove the check next to "Open Safe files........". You'll find that under the "General" tab.

Also read our Sticky notice about viruses and malware. LINK

OP
B
Reaction score
Ok thanks much for the info. This is the first time I have heard of scareware and it got me. I unchecked the "open safe files" box also. This seems like a really good forum!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.