• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Might sound a bit daft, but can I ask for relationship advice here?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I really like the girl I always sit with in class at university - and, based on a conversation we had earlier today I am, in all humbleness, pretty sure now that she feels the exact same way about me. That's not the problem!
I don't want to miss my opportunity with the girl from class - who I, frankly, & perhaps obviously - like a lot more than my current girlfriend (&, in fact, a lot more than any girl I've ever gone out with,

First, this girl. You've talked to her before/after class. You're infatuated with her. You don't really know her very well. You don't have any idea whether or not the two of you would really hit it off in a deeper friendship that may or may not evolve into a serious relationship.

Now, the current girlfriend: see above. They're right.

Maybe you can slide into a new friendship with this other girl by confiding in her. "I'm going through a breakup with my girlfriend of the past year or so, etc. etc." But, be careful with what you reveal! Don't talk her down to the new girl. "It's the best thing for both of us, etc. etc."

OP
I
Reaction score
Guy Card has been validated

Well, I did it, I ended it with my previous girlfriend - she could tell I wasn't happy & pushed the issue to the point where I could't tolerate "putting up with it" any more, so I told her how I felt & in spite of all the inevitable emotional blackmail (ranging from obtuse implications that she'd kill herself if I left her, to saying she'd be willing to do "anything" for me if I stayed; yes, that kind of "anything") I made good my escape & got away fairly cleanly...

I have since got with the girl from class and am happier than I've ever been with any previous girlfriend (and that's not just initial enthusiasm colouring my view, as I'm taking that into account & it's still the best any relationship of mine has been in the first two weeks).

Also, her mother's impressed with me; seeing how I've spent the last week (only the second week of the relationship, please remember) looking after my new girlfriend after she got appendicitis & had to have emergency surgery to have it removed before it burst!

All-in-all, with the exception of the medical issues, things are going the best they ever have for me :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...to saying she'd be willing to do "anything" for me if I stayed; yes, that kind of "anything")...

Well maybe you should have waited 1 more week!;)

Wow...what a turn-a-round! Congrats on getting everything the way you wanted it...and a BIG THANKS for updating us on how things went!!!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well done mate. I didnt see this thread on the 1st time around but glad it all worked out.
I see your situation as one of a family with child. A lot of parents stay together for the benefit of the child, to try and keep harmony in the relationship and a stable life for the child. That is a no-no IMHO That is a unhealthy way of living. . . . . Look after #1 and looks like you have done that. Kudos to you. . . . . .

Got any pics of you and the new squeeze ?? lol

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Glad to hear. As commendable as it is thinking about the feelings of your ex-girlfriend (that wasn't sarcastic), this really had to be about you. Glad to hear that you're happy and glad to hear that you took care of the new GF after having an appendectomy. I had one a few years back and it wasn't pleasant (the appendicitis that is - I felt much better after having it out). I did get Tylenol 3 though... ;)

We'll send our bill for the advice.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Happy ending. How sweet. You still lose your guy card ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got any pics of you and the new squeeze ?? lol

I'd like to see what both the old & new "squeeze" look like...to see if the OP "traded-up"!;)

Of course personality counts too...but it's usually the "looks" that get us interested initially...then the personality kicks in (good/bad).

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ignore the letches!
Congrats on severing the tie, and it is definitely the right move, especially given what the ex said at break up. I have seen a few friends fall foul of that kind of offer....
Glad your happy now, and good on you for sticking by her through the illness, it's not a pleasant one that.
Sounds like a good basis to start a long term relationship to me....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
Man, the members of this forum are really slacking......

All the way to the second page and no one has said it yet.

This thread is useless without pics!!!!

I dont think that anyone can give you honest advice without knowing what both girls look like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.26 13" (Uni/Late 09) 8GB RAM 120GB SSD Boot up 500 GB 7200RPM HDD
Happy ending. How sweet. You still lose your guy card ;)

I just went through the whole thread and laughed really hard when I saw this. props man that's a good one.
and of course we need pics of you two for this happy ending!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I dont think that anyone can give you honest advice without knowing what both girls look like.

Check post #27 dude!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro|15" Hi-Res Anti-Glare|2.2 GHz quad i7|4GB RAM
Congrats, mate. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Yeah, I have to agree here. Pics or it didn't happen....

Then again, in the end it doesn't matter WHAT they look like. The chick can be the hottest thing you've ever see but somewhere out there, there is guy who is just plain tired of putting up with her #$%^.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz i7, 8GB Ram, 750GB HD, Hi-Res AG screen
Sorry I missed that. I know this forum is run a little differently than most, but I am pretty sure there are generic rules, like a Geneva Convention, but for the internet. Somewhere in there it clearly states that when asking about or talking about girls, you must first post a picture before any reply or advice is given.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My Mac has died! Spec? 3 years old running 10.5.5 (was)
Dr

Ok Guys, this is from a girl point of view!! Firstly you only think that the other girl feels the same way! be 100% sure. That said why stay with the first girl anyway? Never go out with them both at the same time, you will loose them both and the stress would not be worth it! Always be honest both to yourself and the girls involved. Get rid of your girlfriend anyway - it is leading no where. Be honest and tell her exactly why, just as you have told us, but leave out the bit about the person that is not dishonest. Ask yourself why you are staying in the relationship anyway - do you not want to be alone for some reason?..........Set yourself free - time goes fast - concentrate on your exams, they are your future! OMG I am sounding really old!!!!!..........All I wanted to know was why my Mac has died/ has black screen/ kernel something and is really really gone! i have no retailer as live in Cambodia. I you certainly should not think long term future with your present girlfriend, so many of us make mistakes just because it seemed the next step to take!

OP
I
Reaction score
Ok Guys, this is from a girl point of view!! Firstly you only think that the other girl feels the same way! be 100% sure. That said why stay with the first girl anyway? Never go out with them both at the same time, you will loose them both and the stress would not be worth it! Always be honest both to yourself and the girls involved. Get rid of your girlfriend anyway - it is leading no where. Be honest and tell her exactly why, just as you have told us, but leave out the bit about the person that is not dishonest. Ask yourself why you are staying in the relationship anyway - do you not want to be alone for some reason?..........Set yourself free - time goes fast - concentrate on your exams, they are your future!...you certainly should not think long term future with your present girlfriend, so many of us make mistakes just because it seemed the next step to take!
You're a little late to the party, I'm afraid!

It's already done & dusted, check-out this post ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.