Need to format a mac without a screen

Reaction score
So, my old macbook has a cracked screen (bummer). Got a new MBP instead which is great fun. I want to format the macbook, but I cant see anything cos the screen is [messed up]. I've been fiddling with screen sharing to try and format using my MBP; but every time I restart the old macbook to start from os x disk, it fails to connect to screen sharing and I cant go any further.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, I am aware that I could get apple to fix this for me, but its a matter of pride.

Reaction score
?

Try doing the same thing using your new macbook as a guide. but dont actually format the new one unless u need to. lol. that about it...

BUT usually if u connect a external monitor, it should detect it and use it.. then try shutting the lid and then using a wireless mouse, it should wake up and go directly to the external monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Or taking the disk out, putting it into an enclosure and formatting it on your new Mac.

But connecting it to an external display is the best way to go.

I'm intrigued about why you want to format it.....

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, cant afford an external display at the moment. So am kinda stuck. The reason for formatting is because I'm going to hand down my computer to my mum who has no idea about computers; and I figure it's easier to wipe the whole thing than have her asking questions about old software and what not...such a pain, never should have introduced her to technology!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.