Strange Fonts appearing on my browser

Reaction score
Alo people..;D

I need help before i go totally insane... i cant seem to figure out why my imac displays my safari and firefox fonts with not the normal font most people have but instead with a very illegible strange font...

I just bought it and connected it to the internet last weak...and i cant fix it... i even tried to change the browser Preferences appearance and it didnt work...!! Still the same font..

The imac i am using now at work is fine..and by default it had in the preferences - appearance- section the same font selected as the one i had at the imac at home!

Cam someone help me fix this issue?

Thanks in advance !!!

C

chas_m

Not really enough info to diagnose, but you might be having a problem with a font conflict. Have you added any fonts (or installed Microsoft Office or some other program that adds fonts)?

To test this, try switching the default font in FF or Safari to something totally different, like say Verdana. Does the problem mostly or completely go away?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Cam someone help me fix this issue?

Illegible or garbled browser fonts are almost always caused by an installed application or some add on.

When you first turned on your new iMac and connected to the net, were the fonts in Safari OK? You need to tell us what you've installed lately or downloaded if the problem suddenly occurred.

In the meantime, use the Font Book application to verify all your fonts. From Applications, double click on Font Book.app and use the "Validate Font" option. That will also give you a chance to see if there any strange fonts which have been installed.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi

thanks for your replies...and sorry for taking so long to reply...things have been crazy since i moved in the new house....lots of problems with the internet!

Okay..so...the problem still exists... when i first connected with the internet the browser had these fonts! Strange looking and unreadable,..

I installed some more fonts today just incase maybe i am missing a font or something but still the same...

The weird thing is that the strange fonts only appear on google homepage and yahoo... When i enter a website,..any website...like this one..the font is normal! :p

what the ****! very strange!

I tried to use the fontbook to validate the fonts but i cant see the validate option anywhere

Whet do you guys think???

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open the Font Book.app and click on the top menu "File". Highlight the font you wish to validate and click on validate. Hard to miss. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.