Looking at a new 27" Imac

Reaction score
Hey guys im currently looking into the new Imac, preferably the 27 inch model. I currently own a Macbook Pro and doubt i will ever by anything other then Macs from here on out.

Im a college student and want to start actually using my computer at home instead of going to the school because i need windows, so i would most likely be installing software to install the windows programs. Other then schoolwork, i use my computer for internet, e-mail, and i just got into using it for music (mixing, djing) things like that. I also watch movies on it, and use hulu and other sites to watch movies and tv shows. Im thinking the 27 inch base model would be more than enough for my needs but just making sure.

So any suggestions or input or even reviews on the new model Imacs.

Thanks, Justin

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that what you didn't say is...why your current MacBook Pro is not acceptable for your current computing needs. There's no reason to spend a bunch of money on a new 27" iMac if your MacBook Pro is getting the job done.

If all you really need is more screen real estate...just buy a $200 24" display...and plug that into your MacBook Pro when you're working at home.

Just something to consider,:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
You have a point there as i have never thought about doing that. My macbook pro is just getting older and seems slower and slower everyday, ive tried clearing out stuff deleting stuff and running cleaning software but it still is not as fast as it used to be. It also has been through hard times i guess you can say. Ive had the occasional drop here and there and i have a whitish spot on my screen, nothing to noticeable to anyone besides me but it drives me crazy.

I guess i dont really "need" an imac but they have always been appealing to me and i want a desktop just to have really. I know i could add a printer and boot-camp and all that for my school work but i would rather work with all that on a desktop, just personal preference.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have a point there as i have never thought about doing that. My macbook pro is just getting older and seems slower and slower everyday, ive tried clearing out stuff deleting stuff and running cleaning software but it still is not as fast as it used to be. It also has been through hard times i guess you can say. Ive had the occasional drop here and there and i have a whitish spot on my screen, nothing to noticeable to anyone besides me but it drives me crazy.

I guess i dont really "need" an imac but they have always been appealing to me and i want a desktop just to have really. I know i could add a printer and boot-camp and all that for my school work but i would rather work with all that on a desktop, just personal preference.

Hey...I just wanted to hear that you do have some issues with your MacBook Pro...which helps to "logically" support spending the money for a new iMac. Of course sometimes folks just want a newer computer "just because"...and that's ok too.:)

One other thing that wasn't mentioned. Are you thinking of selling your MacBook Pro to finance the purchase of this new 27" iMac...or keeping it? If keeping it...great.

The deal is...many users are looking for portability...and the MacBook Pro computers (for years) have been great desktop replacements (especially if you plug a larger monitor into them when at a work desk or at home. But if you sell your MacBook Pro...now you've lost the portability benefit of a laptop computer.

So basically what I'm saying is...many folks are looking to sell their desktop...and buy a laptop. You're talking about doing the opposite (if part of the plan is to sell your MacBook Pro).

Just trying to help, :)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
I plan on keeping my macbook pro just for the reason you mentioned...ease of portability. I love it and cant complain about it as the problems it has our all mostly my fault. I just feel like to get more otganized having a desktop would help with that. As well as being more organized i feel like i would better be able to download some of the stuff onto it as it sounds like the new imacs are gonna be faster then what i have now.

So basically i want the best of both worlds and the next step is the desktop so now i just need to decide which one to go with.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I plan on keeping my macbook pro just for the reason you mentioned...ease of portability.

Sounds great to me!:)

I just feel like to get more otganized having a desktop would help with that. As well as being more organized i feel like i would better be able to download some of the stuff onto it as it sounds like the new imacs are gonna be faster then what i have now.

Two potential issues here:

1. Many users like to have both computers (laptop & desktop) "mirrored" (same apps. & files on both computers)...so this adds some extra "upkeep" on the users part.

2. If you have expensive applications that you use, such as:

- Adobe CS4 or CS5 programs
- Windows installed on your Mac
- Parallels or VMware Fusion
- etc.

In order to have them installed on both computers...you either need a multi-user license...or two copies of the programs with 2 separate serial numbers.

I still think if you're really not having any performance issues...that sticking withe the MacBook Pro for portability...and getting a larger external monitor for use at home is the "best of both worlds" compromise.

But on the other hand...if you don't have any issues with the two items I listed above...then having two or more computers is certainly no problem!:)

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Yeah i could understand the issue there. I think if i get the imac i would just use my itunes and stuff like that for my iphone on there and install all other more expensive items on the imac as with my laptob being a college student i feel i cant get organized with it. I usually lay in bed on it even though i have a desk in my room.

So with the imac i feel i could be more organized and actually have to sit at the desk would require me to get more stuff done.

So i dont think i need all the exytra space other then the standard 27" imac correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
I have several iMacs including the new 27". For what you want to do, the base model will be fine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So i dont think i need all the exytra space other then the standard 27" imac correct?

By "extra space" do you mean upgrading it to the larger hard drive?

If so...the stock configuration for the 27" iMacs is a 1 terabyte hard drive. That's pretty big...and should be fine. If you run out of space sometime in the future...you could always buy an external hard drive for additional storage.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.