Mac Mail doesn't work

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac w/ 3 gb ram, 2.16 ghz intel core 2 duo, Mac OS X 10.6.7
I have Snow Leopard (10.6.7) and have recently tried to start using Mail. I removed it from the dock when I first got my computer, because I didn't think I would use the program. It's still in my Applications folder, and the icon has pieces of paper with a ruler, paintbrush and a pencil on top. I think that means there's a problem with the program, I usually see it with first-runs on programs that have just been installed and need to be started for the regular icon to show up.

I can't do anything in Mail except add RSS feeds. I can't add an e-mail account or anything like that. No e-mail account has been set up with it either. I tried looking for a solution on Apple's website, and downloaded a .dmg that fixes mail stability problems on 10.5.6, but since I have Snow Leopard, after downloading that .dmg, and opening the .pkg it wouldn't install all the way.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Insert your Mac OS Install DVD and in the Optional Installs folder open the Optional Installs installer pkg.
You should be able to reinstall just the Mail application this way,
attachment.php

And yes when a application like Mail has that paper and pencil icon is means something is very wrong.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

A word of caution... make sure you only reinstall mail and not the entire OS. It's easy to do, so be careful.

Also, instead of Mail, you may like the free Mozilla Thunderbird Mail client which also includes a very nice news reader. It's free and very easy to install and setup. Download link is here.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still not sure...

I'm still not sure what to do. I put in the installation DVD (#1) and rebooted my machine. I held down C to run the DVD, and the computer wanted to re-install Mac OS X entirely. I'm not sure how to run through the setup process without it wiping Mac OS X and re-installing the whole thing. I canceled the process, because I'm not going to wipe my hard drive. Then I tried DVD #2, and it won't load during boot, probably because it will only run after DVD #1 is finished, and the computer prompts you for #2.

I just popped DVD #1 in while logged into my computer, and opened the DVD, and found the install bundled software option.

Sorry guys, I need a little more info on how to install Mail without wiping my hard drive.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
It's been a while since I did this but it's a folder called Optional installs. You don't boot from the DVD. You access it while in OSX. I will go find my OSX DVD and get back to you. But it's called Optional Installs. Pretty sure 10.6 is the same.

Ok, on the OSX DVD there is a folder called Optional Installs. Open it and there is a file called Optional Installs.mpkg. Run that and say yes and pick the drive, then a menu will come up. Expand Applications and just put a check by Mail. Click continue.

Here is a pic.

oe.png

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Trying again

I'm going to try again opening DVD 1 in Finder. My DVD doesn't have "optional installs" but it does have "install bundled software only." I tried finding Mail there, and it didn't look like it was listed on its own. FYI, I'm choosing the "custom install" option instead of "continue" to install all 10 gb of whatever is contained there.

Screen shot 2011-05-09 at 2.13.58 a.m..png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is Tiger and not 10.6.7. It says Welcome to Tiger in that pic! How about if you scroll down?

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I really must be tired. I didn't think of scrolling down? Anyway, I don't know HOW I got a Tiger backup DVD (honestly I don't). I bought the computer used from the university I attend. About one year ago they were swapping out old computers. I really do have Snow Leopard on it right now.

Thanks for your help, guys.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not working

Ok, I don't know why it's not working. I went to "Optional installs" and selected JUST "mail" under "applications" and it installed, said it finished installation, I rebooted just to be on the safe side - and nothing. Still have the paper/pencil icon. Is it seriously not working because I'm trying to install from a Tiger DVD on Snow Leopard? They're both OS X. I know, different versions of the OS, but what is going on?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX versions like Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard are very different. You can't install Mail from Tiger on Snow Leopard and have it work. There are way too many changes in the OS. Not sure what to say. They gave you the install DVD's that came with the Machine but upgraded to 10.6. You need that 10.6 DVD. You can purchase one for $29 from Apple or Best Buy.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's weird, 'cause I installed stuff like games while I was at it (exploring the DVD) and they work fine. At least I have my whole hard drive backed up on an external drive just in case anything were to happen. No, I don't know if the back up has a good version of Mail on it, and even if it did, would there be a way I could just take that part of the back up and not have to put EVERYTHING on my computer back to the way it was at the time of back up?

Man, I'm so frustrated with Apple right now. Why make some stuff on the DVD (like games) work on Tiger AND Snow Leopard, but not stuff like Mail?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
For now you can also download Mozilla Thunderbird and use that.

Apple did not make some thing work and some not. It's just that some software is simple and will work with even the total redesign of the OS where Mail is looking for things that have been changed.

You can mount the back up and drag Mail to the Apps folder.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I'm considering Thunderbird. Do you know if there is ANY way to download the Mail program from Apple's website? I looked for it and didn't find it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I'm considering Thunderbird. Do you know if there is ANY way to download the Mail program from Apple's website? I looked for it and didn't find it.

Read what I added to my last post. You can drag mail from the backup to the apps folder.

No, Mail is not available for download that I have ever seen.

OP
H
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. I don't know just what I'll do yet. I definitely don't think I'll get a Snow Leopard installation package. I think I'll (after I've had some sleep) consider Thunderbird or another mail program. I have MS Office 2011, so I was thinking of using Outlook, but I want to see if I can do stuff like sync the calendar on Mail/iCal as well. Doing technical stuff on the computer is not a good idea when I need sleep after my night job.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.