Helpp eMac screen dosent work??

Reaction score
Im having a situation I was home using my eMac when all of a sudden my screen turned to this
IMAG0529.jpg
I shut the computer off and back on and its still the same Does anybody know whats going on !!!! please help

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What model eMac do you have? The 1.25ghz model was especially plagued with a leaking capacitor problem.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.42 GHZ with 1.5 GB

Generally speaking...'All-In-One" computers with a built-in CRT display (like the eMac's & early iMac's)...don't always age very well. CRT displays eventually wear-out...and the extra heat generated by the CRT display inside the computers housing (even with a cooling fan) cannot be good over the lifetime of the computer.

This eMac is about 5-6 years old...and depending on how many total hours it has on it...maybe the display is going bad, something on the logic board (video hardware). It's really hard to say. Be aware that this eMac is probably (at best) worth around $100-$150...so you certainly don't want to spend too much repairing it.

Sorry I couldn't offer anything more helpful.:( Sometimes computers eventually "grow old", and things start to fail...and economically speaking...too expensive to repair or even have an expert troubleshoot.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
The wierd thing is that when I screen share it it looks like that on my mac book pro as well so now im confused because if it was hardware it would only show like this on my eMac screen but on screen share it should show normal no?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The wierd thing is that when I screen share it it looks like that on my mac book pro as well so now im confused because if it was hardware it would only show like this on my eMac screen but on screen share it should show normal no?

If it was ONLY the eMac display hardware itself...you would be right. But if it's the video hardware (on the computers motherboard)...(the hardware that actually sends the info to the display/display's)...then what you're experiencing would confirm that the computer's video hardware is the problem...and not actually the display itself.

Unfortunately...this is actually a bigger problem. Because if it actually was only the eMac's display that was the problem...than as you tested...you might have been able to use an external display to work with. But if the video hardware is "bad"...then all output to all display's will be bad.

A good bit of troubleshooting on your part!:)...which unfortunately may be pointing towards needing to get another computer (new or used).

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey well since its mothers day i'll might as well get my mom an iMac because this is her computer. And get her into Snow leopard. Because Leopard isn't that great =].

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey well since its mothers day i'll might as well get my mom an iMac because this is her computer. And get her into Snow leopard. Because Leopard isn't that great =].

Yeah...she got a good 5-6 years out of the e-Mac...a new or newer iMac would be a great gift!!!:)

Just in case you didn't know:

- check Apple.com's refurbished section for some great deals on previous generation iMac's (check often, the inventory does change hourly/daily).

- if you need to get "stuff" off the e-Mac's hard drive...remove the hard drive, install it in an external hard drive housing...and plug it into a 2nd Mac to access the items.

- sell the eMac for parts on e-Bay or Craig's List

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.