MS office on MBA

Reaction score
hi folks any body can advise me which is better to use on MBA is it MS OFFICE FOR MAC or IWORKS??

please help and advise

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I've moved your post to a more proper forum; please be sure to check the forum descriptions in the future to find the best place to post.

By posting in the right forum you help people not only find your question faster, but it helps others looking for the same information in the future.

Thanks for understanding!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac i5 2.9 Ghz, 15" MBPro i7 2.0 Ghz, iPhone 5, iPhone 4s, ATV2, ATV3, iPad2, iPad Mini
It depends!

hi folks any body can advise me which is better to use on MBA is it MS OFFICE FOR MAC or IWORKS??

please help and advise

What are you going to use the software for, as that will make a difference in the choosing the right product.

If you need "absolute" file compatability with files you bring home from work then you need MS Office.

If your requirements are not so stringent then iWorks integrates perfectly with your OS X Operating System and applications.

DavidH

OP
A
Reaction score
thanxx Dear Davidhh............its short reply and meaasge fully delivered........
i need it for daily normal business
most important feature i need is to handle email while offline...eg. like in the airplane...i need to see emails and reply them offline........in addition to other features like categorizing and use of adress book..........just main features.............i will use it mostly in china emailing chinese companies......

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Buy MS Office. But make sure you buy the version that includes Outlook not the Home and Student version.

OP
A
Reaction score
ohh yes thats a good advise i must be carefull and make sure it has outlook because the two versions are very close to each other ..............thanx chscag.............
its a good advise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
The one with Outlook is the Business Edition.

OP
A
Reaction score
yes deckyon.........thanx it seems just like the pc version also you can choose home or business edition...........for me i have choosen the busienss edition of the pc version....for six months it works great for my business.......may be i will also give iworks some chance........i can never tell unless i try ......right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you're going to test iWorks, I suggest you wait until Apple publishes the new version. iWork09 has been out for quite a while now and should be updated soon.

Also, instead of buying the full version, you should be able to purchase only which iWork application you need from the Apple on line App store. For example: Only buy Pages.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
With any non Microsoft Office suite (iWorks, for example) there will never be 100% compatibility between them. There are functions that are proprietary to MS Office that other apps just can't duplicate.

Now, for most of the personal world, this doesn't matter. Those functions lost on a cheaper suite are not ones used by most of the people who have computers. The issue comes in with the true business power user who relys on the "unofficial industry standard" of Microsoft Office and those specialty functions that are only available to user of Office. They want, require, 100% compatibility when producing a deliverable to management, clients, vendors and what not. Again, most people (even in business) don't require the higher end functionality, but they do require the 100% compatibility.

The other main thing to look at is the price point of Office:mac 2011 Business. The full version is still cheaper than the Windows version of Microsoft Office 2010.

Personally, anyone in business who says they need to be able to read/edit MS Office docs, I will always point them to the full Microsoft Office suite rather than iWorks or OpenOffice or the other cheaper/free suite. Simply for the Compatibility. And OS doesn't matter in this regard.

OP
A
Reaction score
dear Deckyon............thanx for your valuable advise ........
my main target is .......
1/can read all or most of documents that i get by mail...............editing them is not a priority....this i can do iy when i am back office from my trip with the MBA...
2/ i can see emails and reply them ((OFFLINE)).........so that i can use the time spent in airplane for example.........so after landing i can easily just connect to net and send all the replies in one push button................
i hope you got my idea........thanx and regards

OP
A
Reaction score
i mean ......thanx dear (( BRAD ))
also a good advise from CHSCAG.........thanx dear a nice comment.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Most mail clients can work offline. Especially if you are using IMAP as the service. Stay away from POP3 as you lose the ability to view mail on more than one box. I use Outlook for all my mail, contacts and calendar management. Also, I go one step further and pay for a personal Exchange server through Domain Names & Web Hosting : 1&1 Internet Inc.. I got lucky and got in on their beta program years back and only pay $2.99/month. Worth every penny. My mail is fully available in any machine I get on: iPad, MBP, and any Internet-connected machine using Outlook Web Access. Yes, you can do the same with gmail, to a point. However, it takes more management to get there. I have helped a number of people get set up with their iPads where I live and so far they all have come back to go the Exchange route.

Besides, with Outlook, you have one place for all mail, contacts and scheduling. Not three separate apps.

OP
A
Reaction score
dear Brad
i also use teh same procedure.......all my email is backed up.........long time ago i quit using the ( amatures ) POP 3 email.........
with outlook i have a better access to my contacts and a better focus one my emails i just like to keep this feature of dealing with emailsm offline............this can save me lots of dead time on the way in airplane and in train....etc............yes dear brad i agree with you fully professionals must use IMAP emails....so when i started this email service....i also dont feel comfort when business email comes from POP3 server.......i doesent give me the feeling that the sender is prosfessional and trusted

Reaction score
I have a 2010 MBA 13" and I have both iWorks and MS Office. Due to compatibility, I used MS Word for writing my paper, but I discovered that when I start to include drawings in the document, MS Word will slow to a crawl, to a point that it is a pain to use. So I switch to Pages and now find it very useful and powerful - just need some getting used to and using the help function to find out how to do the things I so used to do in MS Word.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a 2010 MBA 13" and I have both iWorks and MS Office. Due to compatibility, I used MS Word for writing my paper, but I discovered that when I start to include drawings in the document, MS Word will slow to a crawl, to a point that it is a pain to use. So I switch to Pages and now find it very useful and powerful - just need some getting used to and using the help function to find out how to do the things I so used to do in MS Word.

You may want to look at the style of images as well as size. Something else is going on. I write lots of documentation for work, and I am routinely working with docs over 50 pages with gobs of graphics and charts and images and screenshots throughout and have not noticed any kind of slow down. Keep in mind, you don't need graphics over about 640x480 (480x640) for docs as it becomes overkill, even for photos and screenshots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
+1 vote for Office 2011. It is fast and rock steady. Should you go this way make sure you download the SP1 update.

OP
A
Reaction score
Dear 8irons.......
thanx for the advise
but this means we all mac users will always face some kind of obstacles or problems and we always have to improvise.........so as to make both giants ( apple and MS ) technology meet each other ....its apity..............but no other way...still better than using the Pc systems...........i love my apple ......and i think i cannot give it up.........regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.