Reinstalation of MAC OS X 'program will not start up'

Reaction score
I've got an older Imac G5 from my employer. I want to reinstall Mac OS X so I will start afresh. When I try to run 'Install Mac OS X from the CD' MAC OS X Install CD ' then the program will start up a split second and then disappear / close down. Have tried to hold C and reboot - same problem. Someone who can help as' Install Mac OS X can boot.
Version on CD. - version 10.1.3 (should have followed with iMac)
Version on imac - version 10.4.11

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If the PPC machines are like the Intel ones, it's highly unlikely that you are going to be able to install a version of OS X older than the one the machine shipped with. Don't quote me, but I think all G5s shipped with either 10.3 or 10.4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

As our administrator states OS X.1 will not install on a G5. You cannot go back in time or on a Mac! The G5 came probably with OS X.3 or perhaps OS X.4 and that is as far as you can go back.

Reaction score
old

G'day and welcome to the forums.

As our administrator states OS X.1 will not install on a G5. You cannot go back in time or on a Mac! The G5 came probably with OS X.3 or perhaps OS X.4 and that is as far as you can go back.

your right. you have to use the original OS and CDs to reinstall on the G5. You have to use the the OS that came with the computer.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers. I am new in Imac's.
The disk which was included from my employee was version 10.1.3 and this do not run with a G5 (I can understand on you guys)
How can I legally reinstal the Imac with a version 10.4 or new'er and what is the price for it ?
Thanks in advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Have a look on eBay and CraigList etc for a full retail install DVD of the operating system you want, but do not purchase so called update, install, drop in etc discs as these are silver/grey and will work only with the model the discs came with.

For a G5 suggest looking for Leopard OS X.5 which can be updated to OS X.5.8, as high as your Power PC G5 can go. Expect to pay around the $100 mark, or even more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.