WHY do Macs cost far less to buy in the USA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Apple can choose to sell their products for however much they choose to do so anywhe they'd like. Fairness is not an issue, it doesn't apply.

If people are willing to play the price, Apple will continue to charge it. End of story.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
increased in the UK from 17.5% to 20% in January !

tell me about it. We are taxed on everything apart from food/fresh produce.
Its so we can give money to all those lovely "doley's" who dont work and smoke weed all day.

Im joking, obviously. :)

At least it isnt as bad as down under, they cant get anything over there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Its so we can give money to all those lovely "doley's" who dont work and smoke weed all day.

We can get plenty down here....
New taxes on already increasing taxes, more speed cameras and red light cameras, more toll roads, more paid parking spots and more parking inspectors, privatisation of all our assets and resources, and the list goes on.
Luckily for those who feel like they are being pushed over the edge, and just need to chill out, we have some beautiful landscapes and beaches, and... there is no shortage of weed :p

OP
P
Reaction score
Moved to Spain in 2000 after enforced early retire
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2
I really find it sad that he even took it in that direction.

Why are you being so darned hyper-sensitive here ?

All I was doing was to attempt to place things into a historical perspective.
Nothing detrimental, finger-pointing, or apportioning any sort of 'blame was involved.

It's sad when you aren't able to even mention factual matters for the sake of accuracy - without someone taking 'offence' - for no real reason other than to be pedantic / weird / fringe element' !! :|

I think you need to chill friend

Try following Jimmy Buffet's advice in Margaritaville....and have a cocktail / tequila / anything - after all - surely it's '5 0'clock - Somewhere - even in Margaritaville ??

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac24,iMac27,iMac21.5-i3,iPhone4-32gb,iTouch3.32gb,iPad1,Apple TV,iPodClassic160gbx2

No - you're NOT joking - really !

Some folk just don't know HOW to get off their backsides - and even think about doing an ' honest day's work'...
Some and sadly an increasing number - NEVER HAVE.

I'd love to see the Coalition Gov't introduce an American-style 'Work Shy ' scheme - from what I heard about it, it would be darn good for all the lazy layabouts.
Rant - passed.:|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Try following Jimmy Buffet's advice in Margaritaville....and have a cocktail / tequila / anything - after all - surely it's '5 0'clock - Somewhere - even in Margaritaville ??

You really may want to take your own advice here. Just a thought.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already have !!
Hic

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Why are you being so darned hyper-sensitive here ?

All I was doing was to attempt to place things into a historical perspective.
Nothing detrimental, finger-pointing, or apportioning any sort of 'blame was involved.

It's sad when you aren't able to even mention factual matters for the sake of accuracy - without someone taking 'offence' - for no real reason other than to be pedantic / weird / fringe element' !! :|

That wan't particularly hyper sensitive by any means and you might just want to take a look in the mirror before you throw around accusations like that. It just seems a bit odd that you chose to somehow connect Apples pricing policies in Europe with the Nazis. A historical perspective? Really? That post made it sound like there was giant conspiracy to steal money from you folks in Europe or the UK by we Americans. In fact, based on that post, your original post in this thread and many other posts you have in here I'd say you are the one who is being a bit hyper sensitive, and perhaps a bit paranoid even, over this whole topic.

Apple's pricing is what it is. You don't have to like it and you most certainly don't have to pay them any money if you think they are wrong.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That wan't particularly hyper sensitive by any means and you might just want to take a look in the mirror before you throw around accusations like that. It just seems a bit odd that you chose to somehow connect Apples pricing policies in Europe with the Nazis. A historical perspective? Really? That post made it sound like there was giant conspiracy to steal money from you folks in Europe or the UK by we Americans. In fact, based on that post, your original post in this thread and many other posts you have in here I'd say you are the one who is being a bit hyper sensitive, and perhaps a bit paranoid even, over this whole topic.

Apple's pricing is what it is. You don't have to like it and you most certainly don't have to pay them any money if you think they are wrong.

and - my original piece...

Originally Posted by pedropete
"I
ronically - History ( my Degree subject as a former teacher of 20 years until 1999) reveals that it was the U.S.A. who practised rigid Protectionist Trade Policies in the period after the First World war - post 1918 - when the major European economies had fought themselves to a stand-still - bankrupting themselves in the process, and eager to regain their leading trading / commercial positions etc
Only to find that the U.S.A. had taken over most of their former trading areas etc
And - guarded their domestic industries by high import tariffs etc
So - you had defeated Germany, struggling to get itself back on its feet, while at the same time, being forced to pay punitive 'Reparations' or War Damages of 6,600 Billion Pounds equivalent...
Impossible.
Hence - the succession of weak minority govt.'s - and the rise of the Nazi Party under A. Hitler - and all that entailed for the 1930's etc
Brief History lesson - over. "

What 'accusations' ?!?
Strange ! If you didn't keep up to speed with the short summary it's not my responsibility ! But you obviously got the wrong end of the stick as to your interpretation. We were actually addressing the economic issue of Protectionism after 1918. You can't change Facts ! Didn't you study this at high school / college ?
How you can connect what I said above with - 'the Nazi's and Apple's current pricing policies' - is bizarre in the extreme....
I think it almost quite disingenuous of you to draw bizarre assumptions the way you have.
(I am actually - rather sensitive if not a little paranoid, although there are, my shrink advises, perfectly valid reasons for that -;D )

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple can choose to sell their products for however much they choose to do so anywhe they'd like. Fairness is not an issue, it doesn't apply.

If people are willing to play the price, Apple will continue to charge it. End of story.

Agreed - basic Law of supply and demand.
If people in Europe all stopped buying Apple products, maybe it would lead to a re-think on pricing ?:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Right. And if everyone stopped driving their autos, the price of gasoline would be much cheaper..... ;P Nice try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think this one has run its course…

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.