Jailbreaking ipad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" OS X 10.6.4 / 3.2 GHz / Intel Core i3 / 4 GB 13333 MHz DDR3
What are the benefits and downfalls of Jailbreaking? Is it advisable to hack the iPad this way?

Reaction score
That depends on what you are planning to do with the jail broken I pad. The real question is "why are you thinking about jail breaking your I pad?"

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's why I am here asking, because I have seen a lot of comments about it, and wanted the advice from you guys here whether it's advisable or not. I don't plan on doing it as of now, but just wanted to make sure I'm not missing out on some huge benefits. I don't really even know what is involved with it.

Reaction score
Well, my reason for jail breaking my devices is added functionality. For example, "Miwi Fi" on my I phone. For the iPad, programs like "I-file" are also great. Honestly, It all depends on what you want to do with your devices. Many people also J/b there devices so they can pirate. Others jail break so they can totally customize their phone. There is something for everyone when it comes to jail breaking. You just need to find out why you want to jailbreak. My suggestion is do, play with it, and if it's not for you, restore and your good to go.

Tom

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't even have an iPhone. I guess until I see a need or learn more about Apple, I'll just hold off.

C

chas_m

IMHO there is exactly NO reason to jailbreak an iPad 2 unless you are in dire need of one of the very specific programs not available on the App Store. It prevents you from upgrading to the latest iOS quickly, sometimes waiting weeks until you can do so, and even when they make it fairly easy, you will have to re-do the process again every single time Apple changes something. Not worth the hassle IMO.

Having said that, I *did* jailbreak my original iPad because I had to -- it's the only way to project the iPad's screen through to a projector. I teach classes in this stuff and had to have a way to demo the iPad. The iPad 2 makes this moot as they can do it with an HDMI dongle, but I don't have the iPad 2.

OP
MontanaMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for confirming what I suspected. As far as updating my iso version on the iPad, where do I go for that? Not even sure which version I have, probably need to check.

Reaction score
When you plug the ipad into your mac or PC and itunes pops up, it will let you know if theres an upgrade (unless you turned that off). You can find your device in itunes and it should say the version number there and have an upgrade button if your not up-to-date.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.