Canon EOS Utility keeps crashing, is there a fix??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I did some Google searching and couldn't find a clear answer. Apparently this has been going on for a while since some search results are 3 years old!

When I plug my XSi into my MBP (OSX 10.6.6) and try to start downloading pictures, it shuts down and I get a "quit unexpectedly" message. I just downloaded this EOS utility from Canon and chose OSX 10.6 from their menu before getting the download, so I'm assuming it's the most updated version and correct for my OS version.

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's "EOS Utility is worthless" because I really don't know as I haven't even been able to use it yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I haven't had any luck connecting my Rebel XT to my Mac either. This is why I just use a card reader now. I think you might have to end up doing the same.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, moved to card readers with my XSi early on and never looked back. Not even sure where that cable is any longer.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I think that's what I'm going to go with as I think it may be faster and won't take away battery life on my cameras. I have heard people say pulling the card in and out of the camera can cause damage eventually, but I don't really see how unless you're really smashing the thing in and out of the reader/camera!

I think I'm done with EOS Utility anyway. It seems like importing directly to Aperture/LR is the smart move. Now, I just need to decide which program I want to buy: testing both now with the 30 day trials.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have heard people say pulling the card in and out of the camera can cause damage eventually, but I don't really see how unless you're really smashing the thing in and out of the reader/camera!.

I think that mainly applies to compact flash and the potential to leave pins behind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
I did some Google searching and couldn't find a clear answer. Apparently this has been going on for a while since some search results are 3 years old!

When I plug my XSi into my MBP (OSX 10.6.6) and try to start downloading pictures, it shuts down and I get a "quit unexpectedly" message. I just downloaded this EOS utility from Canon and chose OSX 10.6 from their menu before getting the download, so I'm assuming it's the most updated version and correct for my OS version.

Any help would be appreciated, even if it's "EOS Utility is worthless" because I really don't know as I haven't even been able to use it yet.

I had an unsolvable problem getting a 2010 MBP to connect in a reliable fashion to any Canon DSLR I tried ( 1dsMKIII, 5d, 2 different Rebels) with anything but standard length usb cables like the ones shipped with camera. Adding any sort of extension cause a failure.

Problem solved by dumping the 2010 MBP in favor of a 2011. No problems at all with EOS utility nor Breeze DSLR Remote Pro. I use both almost daily for tethered shooting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.