Itunes won't open when Ipod is connected....

Reaction score
My itunes won't open when my ipod is connected. If my itunes is already open, then both my ipod and itunes freezes. If I just open my computer page listed in the start menu, I will get a "not responding" message. There probably might be something wrong with my ipod but I don't know how to erase anything without connecting to itunes or if that's even an issue to fix the problem. Note that I did update to a new version of itunes a week ago and i connected add stuff to my ipod just fine until today.

Also, since I added stuff to my ipod, my ipod has been acting up lately. It has also freeze alot the last 3 days and stays stuck on the same song when I'm trying to change to a different playlist. It is a new ipod I recently bought, a 160gb once (don't know what version ipod that is).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Try a reset.

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.

If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep. Try resetting the iPod while it is connected to power.

OP
J
Reaction score
Try a reset.

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.

If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep. Try resetting the iPod while it is connected to power.

I did hold the menu and center buttons many times. I also let my ipod played until the battery completely died, shut off and then recharged it again.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Did you hold them until you saw the Apple logo on the screen?

If not, do it until you do.

If so, time to take it back in to Apple and let them try a factory restore on it.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then I'd take it back in to Apple and let them check it out. Had a friend that took his in just a couple of months ago on one that was well out of warranty and they did a restore for him at no charge. Took care of his similar issue, may or may not take care of yours.

OP
J
Reaction score
I don't think Apple has the best customer service. I'll be definatly giving them a call at the end of this month.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think Apple has the best customer service. I'll be definatly giving them a call at the end of this month.

You'd be in the minority on that one. Of course, customer service in Kuwait may not be anything like what you can get walking into a store here in the U.S.

OP
J
Reaction score
You'd be in the minority on that one. Of course, customer service in Kuwait may not be anything like what you can get walking into a store here in the U.S.

I meant I'll be calling them once I get back to the US. The apple site isn't really friendly on customer service since its a bit difficult to navigate for exact help you need since they care more about help from thier newest gadget they release every 3 seconds then help with an new, but older version of thier product. They released thier products ever so fast that I know they don't have all the programs awknowlege before releasing us the products as we are their test subjects and then they'll fix it for thier next product.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.