Ram question for new imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 2.1Ghz
Hi,

I'm going to be purchasing my first mac (imac 2.0, 20inch) I have a question about the ram options I can choose....

I want 1 GB ram, does the 1 DDR400 mean one stick so later you could upgrade? so that means the 2 DDR400 is two 512 sticks?

I'm edging towards getting the 20 inch aposed to the 17. Anyone have any comments on this?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There are two slots for RAM in the iMac G5. I believe it is only one stick of 512 MB, but you might want to check with someone who has one here first to be sure.

OP
sarah3585
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 2.1Ghz
What i need confirmation on is this....for 1 gb there are two options:

1gb DDR400 SDRam- 2 DDR
or
1gb DDR400 SDRam- 1 DDR for a little more money

is the 2 DDR two 512 stick and the 1 DDr 1 1gb stick with one spare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Yes, 2 DDR would mean there are two sticks of RAM.

OP
sarah3585
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5, 2.1Ghz
thanks very much. i think I'll go with the 1 stick of 1 gb then i have the option to upgrade in the future.
Thanks for your help and I look forward to joining the mac world and chucking my PC in the bin (ok I won't be doing that but I'll give it an evil glare every now and then!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
I hope your not buying the RAM through the apple store. It is outragiously priced. y suggestion is to buy from a third party vender like; www.newewgg.com and just narrow the search down using there things. I have ordered 2GB of iMac ram from them and a 1GB stick for my iBook. It is MUCH cheaper then apple prices.

You could get a one gig stick to make 1.5 GB in the iMac and then you would have the option later to pull the original 512MB and put in another 1GB stick.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.