Using Word for Mac-2008: finding a document

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/10: Purchased an iMac 21.5" 3.06 GZ, 500 MB, 4 GB
I seldom use this and I've gotten myself into a pickle. When I use Word and open up a new document, it's nbr'd - as in "document 1" and then "document 2," etc. When I was working today on a couple of things on various document nbrs., I guess, I hadn't saved them yet. It's now showing document 7 - a blank page, but I didn't open several previous documents today, so I think there are nbrs. 1-6 from a previous time(s). HOW do I get back to Document 5 or 6 or 4 or 3, which is where this one document I was working on today should be? I'm hoping it's in a temporary file or something as I'd hate to have lost it. I even tried to ck. "trash" but that didn't seem to help. I presume that all docs are put into a temp. file until saved or trashed, right? Please help. Thank you.

Also, when wanting to print a normal 5 pg. document into a smaller print in order to condense the print-out size (and qty. of pages) of the document, how do I do this? I tried reducing font, but it would only reduce down to a "6" in font but not make the words as small as I really need.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your post was moved to the correct forum. We ask that you read forum descriptions and Sticky notices at the top of each forum before posting. Thanks for your cooperation.

As to the documents that you lost.... Do you have automatic backup turned on? And did you also choose "always make a backup"? Those two options in the "Save" preference are very important for the saving and recovering of documents.

Since you did not "name" and save Docs 1-6, it's likely they were overwritten in succession each time you opened a new document. You may be able to recover the last iteration of the document. Look in the default location for recovered files:

/Users/You/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 AutoRecovery/

If the document is not there, it's probably lost.

Reaction score
You could try:
Spotlight
Document

But only before you exited Word

see, this relates to Excel but is probably the same for Word.....
Description of the AutoRecover functions in Excel

When AutoRecover files are deleted
To keep from filling up your AutoRecover location with unneeded files, AutoRecover files are automatically deleted in the following situations:

* When the file is manually saved.
* The file is saved with a new file name using Save As.
* You close the file.
* You quit Excel, whether you choose to save the file or not.
* You turn off AutoRecover for the current workbook.
* You turn off AutoRecover by clearing the Save AutoRecover info every check box.

Reaction score
Look in the default location for recovered files:

/Users/You/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2008 AutoRecovery/

If the document is not there, it's probably lost.

I checked this out for myself, and scarily no files found.

However I do Save as as soon as I start a new document.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only time documents will show up in the auto recovery folder is if you're in the middle of doing something and either Office or the system crashes. I have on occasion found docs there but unfortunately they were bits and pieces.

Office 2011 auto recovery seems to work better, and of course the Windows version of Office (2010) works well to recover documents.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3/10: Purchased an iMac 21.5" 3.06 GZ, 500 MB, 4 GB
Sorry for the delay. I finally just had to start over the document as I couldn't "find" it. But, I would like to try and understand a little further. After having my Word pgrm. not active for several days, I just opened it as a test. And it opens to a new blank screen which is NOW labeled: Document 9. So, if the other docs are "gone" - where ARE documents 1-8 ??? Why doesn't it default back to "Document 1" since it's been closed for awhile? Will it just continue to increase the document nbrs., ad nauseum, each time I open up a new document and before I save it with a title?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.