Macbook Pro Display Brightness issues

Reaction score
Just replaced the screen on my macbook pro and when messing with the brightness levels I noticed that level 2-16 change the brightness normally from low to high. But when I go down to level one the brightness slowly fades up and going down to zero makes it brighter that the brightness of level 16. It really is bugging me.

Does anyone have any clue whats wrong and any possible solutions???

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is the new LCD an exact replacement or a good substitute replacement? And did you do the work yourself or did you have it done somewhere else?

OP
D
Reaction score
I bought the display used off PowerBook medics site. It is a matte lg display. I replaced it myself.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sounds like the inverter isn't matched up properly to the display panel. I would check with PowerBook Medic.

OP
D
Reaction score
Ok in also going to replace the broken screen later today to see if it is a software issue

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No way it's a software issue. The software is not screen specific.

Just to be clear, your display panel has a backlight (whether it's LED or CCFL depends on the age of your MacBook Pro). It's paired with an inverter that is *specific* to the display panel (although some are interchangeable). That inverter module is what varies the voltages to adjust the degree of backlight.

Having the wrong inverter can not only cause weirdness in adjustments, it can also damage the lighting elements in the display.

OP
D
Reaction score
Oh ok well I'll talk to powerbookmedic and check the model numbers on both the displays

OP
D
Reaction score
Would it make a difference that I replaced a glossy display with a matte one?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, because it's probably a different model of panel.

OP
D
Reaction score
The model number of the old panel was ltn154bt03 and the new one is lp154wp2. When I put the old panel back in the back light worked like it should. I'm going to try to take back the new panel.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The model number of the old panel was ltn154bt03 and the new one is lp154wp2. When I put the old panel back in the back light worked like it should. I'm going to try to take back the new panel.

I would seriously just contact PowerBook Medic and see if you can get a matching inverter. On most laptops they run between $20-70.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yeah but im not looking to spend more money on this compute. Dont you think that they will exchange the model for the one that was in the computer before?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.