AirPlay issues

Reaction score
First post go easy pls ;)

I for the life of me can't get AirPlay working with my iPhone, iPod or iPad but strangely my atv2 shows up in the list of devices.

All are connected to my wifi network
All have homesharing turned on and are using the same apple account

Anytime I select the AirPlay icon only my computer and my atv2 show in the available device list.... Wth am I missing?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Are you trying to play a video on your iPhone, iPod, and/or iPad from another device? If so, AirPlay doesn't work that way. The mobile devices aren't AirPlay receivers, but rather transmitters. There used to be an app that turned your mobile device into a receiver, but unfortunately it's been pulled from the App Store.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm trying to play anything. I would use it to play music and video but as it stands no other device shows up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's what I thought. You can't stream TO a mobile device via AirPlay, only FROM it. You'll need to use a third party app to stream to a mobile device. I personally use AirVideo to stream the videos on my computer to my iPhone and iPad. I'm sure there's an equivalent app for music.

OP
J
Reaction score
I guess I wasn't clear enough. I've tried music from my comp as well as using airvideo to send video to either device but just like in iTunes only my atv2 is available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks like you may not be using Air Video correctly. With that particular app, you install a desktop app (downloaded from the Air Video website) and add the folders that contain your videos. You then launch the Air Video app on your iPhone/iPad and it will detect the Air Video server running on your computer. You will then be able to stream all the videos in the folders you designated. It's completely independent of iTunes.

OP
J
Reaction score
I understand that... I've been using it for a while now. I just said iTunes cus it won't let me stream music either. Unless there's something I'm missing with air video (I highly doubt as I use it on a regular basis and my atv2 shows) I'm truly stumped how one device (atv2) shows but no other iOS device does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're confusing me with this whole "ATV shows" language. Where exactly does it "show?" You need to be more specific as to what exactly you're trying to accomplish here.

OP
J
Reaction score
When I press the airplay icon whether in YouTube, airvideo, iTunes on my comp etc etc only my apple tv 2 shows as an available AirPlay speaker/device. My iPod, iPhone and iPad are not listed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I already said this before, that's not how AirPlay works. You cannot stream music/video TO your iPod/iPhone/iPad from any other device (ex. you cannot stream a Youtube video from your iPhone to your iPad via AirPlay). You can only stream FROM those devices to another device capable of receiving, such as your Mac, AppleTV, an AirPlay enabled speaker dock, etc.

The only way to stream music/videos to those devices is via apps. I think you're confused because Air Video is NOT the same thing as AirPlay, it is just the name of one of many streaming apps available in the App Store.

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay thanks for your help.

I really want to stream music to my iPod that's in a dock using my iPhone as the remote. The AirPlay hack (ssh'd two files to iPod) on the laso os allowed me to do this (iPod would be listed as an AirPlay device). Now I need another solution.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.