Reaction score
I've got a iMac G5
PowerMac8,2
PowerPC G5 (3.0)

CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 600 MHz

It runs slow as molasses and I couldn't even download the pdf converter from this forum or anywhere else. thanks
calla liddie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
Probably would be time for a new computer, especially if your sticking with Apple software as most apps and software is now made for the intel architecture rather than the older PPC which your machine is.

HTH,
- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
That's not a terrible machine you have there. A little light on the RAM, though. And I don't know how full your HDD is either. But those could be 2 contributing factors to the "slow as molasses" problems you're having.
It comes down to is it worth it for you to increase the memory and (possibly) get a larger HDD? Or would you rather not put any more $$$ into an older Mac and just get something newer? You could always find a good deal in Apple's online refurbished store if you're looking to save a little scratch. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've got a iMac G5
PowerMac8,2
PowerPC G5 (3.0)

CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 600 MHz

It runs slow as molasses and I couldn't even download the pdf converter from this forum or anywhere else. thanks
calla liddie

It depends. We have members posting here about brand new model Mac's they bought 3-6 months ago being slow (usually due to some sort of "maintenance" or "user issue"...or maybe even a hardware defect).

So I wouldn't automatically say that having an iMac G5 means it's time for a new computer...maybe you just need to do some maintenance, upgrade the ram (maybe), or analyze your user habits.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Is it time to buy a new Mac?

Thanks for the comments. My user habits are very simple, no media, just the Internet, MS Word, simple games, email. I open two programs at a time and tabs, but that's about it.

callalillie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Download and run Onyx for PowerPC machines. Also think about boosting the memory up to at least 1GB.

http://mac.brothersoft.com/onyx-2.0.6.html

Also how much free space is there on the hard drive? Need about 15% of the capacity to run anywhere near efficiently.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.