Bootcamp mega problems.

Reaction score
I have a macbook that i bought in March of 08.

About a year ago or so i partitioned the HD to run windows but never got around to buying windows, so i removed the partition shortly thereafter.

A week ago i got ahold of a copy of Windows XP and i wanted to partition my HD. For about 5 days i tried and it said "Some files can't be moved" so i did some research and found the solution. DL'ed Inventory X and removed the large files. Then when i attempted to partition it said "Disk cannot be verified". I restored permissions and repaired the disk and tried again. This time it was in the act of partitioning (the bar was filling up) and a message popped up that said i needed to restart my mac (before the partition was complete) I did so.

When i checked bootcamp assistant again it did not recognize a partition but the HD space that i specified to partition before i restarted the mac was missing. I got out my OS X disc and rebooted through the disc and used disk utility to repair the disk, it said (i don't remember the specifics) that there were some minor errors and that it fixed them. I booted up and sure enough the 'missing' HD space was back! When i tried, yet again, to partition using bootcamp assistant the same message popped up in the middle telling me i had to restart my computer.

I am at a loss, i don't know why bootcamp worked fine a year ago and now i fixed 2 problems yet come across a 3rd! I can't even get my HD partitioned.

Does anyone know what is going on here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
When the first error message appeared telling you some files could not be moved, it meant that there was not enough space (contiguous space anyway) the best thing would have been to backup your system, format then re-installed the OS and restore your files then tried bootcamp again.
Best solution now would be the same idea.

Hope this helps

- Simon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In addition to the advice by Buzzard, your hard drive does not sound good. You might want to consider swapping it out for a newer larger one before attempting to partition and install Windows. Your hard drive is at least 3 or more years old and is probably starting to act up.

OP
D
Reaction score
In addition to the advice by Buzzard, your hard drive does not sound good. You might want to consider swapping it out for a newer larger one before attempting to partition and install Windows. Your hard drive is at least 3 or more years old and is probably starting to act up.

I see, well darn! Thanks for the help. If this is the case i might consider just saving up for a PC desktop. Not sure.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I see, well darn! Thanks for the help. If this is the case i might consider just saving up for a PC desktop. Not sure.

Save up for a new machine instead of $50-$70 for a new 320-500GB 7200rpm drive that would breath new life and speed into your existing machine? Not to mention helping maintain it's resell value.

OK.

OP
D
Reaction score
Save up for a new machine instead of $50-$70 for a new 320-500GB 7200rpm drive that would breath new life and speed into your existing machine? Not to mention helping maintain it's resell value.

OK.

Like i said, I was 'not sure'. And it's only 50-70 dollars for a 500gb HD?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And it's only 50-70 dollars for a 500gb HD?

That's about right. Take a look on NewEgg, Amazon, Tiger Direct, and Other World Computing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.