Macbook Air w/ Pro Tools (Updates Anyone?)

Reaction score
i've scoured message boards everywhere to get some feedback on this type of setup, and the responses have been all over the place.

the reason im posting this is id like some current responses (if possible) for people who are now using Pro Tools 9 and the 2nd batch of MBA's.

basically, i need a small rig for travelling where i would be able to do edits and record a max of 5 tracks. (id only be running a reverb and something like a SANS AMP plugin at any given time.) nothing more.

i was looking at getting a MBA and using the Apogee One unit as the interface.

a couple different people have suggested that even though Avid doesnt support USB recording, that as long as my external drive is 7200 RPM, i should be fine.

im currently using a 17" MBP, but its just far to big and too bulky for my liking.

has anyone had any great results recording audio with the MBA? i know its a bit of a hefty investment to see if this setup with actually work or not.

thoughts?

PS: ill have my main rig for larger sessions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
What about a MBP 13"? $200 more than the MBA with a lot more power, or, the plain old MacBook with the same starting price as the lowest MBA? And, if you went with a referb of even the MBP 13 you could probably get it less than the MBA. At least it would be a rig you know would work, rather than taking a gamble.

Or are you just looking for an excuse to get a MBA? ;-)

OP
W
Reaction score
haha. well, i do like the weight and look of the MBA....

but you did make some valid points of course...

argh. im torn.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Pro Tools is a CPU hog. it stresses my MBP 2010 out, and that has a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo. The clockspeeds for the MBA are not up to par with the current line of MBPs.

Anyone looking to do any serious audio work should not be considering the MBA, really.

last year SOS did a review with PT9 and the MBA and it performed well, but its got nowhere near the grunt of a Sandy Bridge i5 or i7 processor for your DSP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.